Ukuu for kernel update in Ubuntu based OS

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
Curious to know some opinions on using Ukuu for upgrading to a newer kernel version in Ubuntu based distros?

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/ukuu-easy-way-to-install-mainline-kernel-ubuntu

What is a mainline kernel?
Mainline kernels may be provided by the Ubuntu Kernel Team but they’re intended for testing purposes only.

Mainline kernels are not supported in the same way that a regular, run of the mill rep versions offered through the regular update channels or via the LTS HWE process.

These kernels are unmodified upstream kernels and are built using Ubuntu kernel configuration files.

You should not assume these kernels will be reliable enough for everyday use. You install them at your own risk. Be aware that as these are pure upstream releases they do not include any Ubuntu-specific drivers or patches, nor any proprietary modules or restricted binary drivers.
The main “use” for mainline kernels is for testing purposes, i.e. to see if a new kernel fixes a specific hardware or filesystem problem you experience on the repo version.

I would have no need for it....and if I did I would have a known good backup in place first and also a fresh Timeshift snapshot.

Just elaborating on the good points Brian has made:

Another interesting article is this one

https://itsfoss.com/upgrade-linux-kernel-ubuntu/

From November 2017. In it, too, the author points out that if you have no need to get the latest, newest kernel ... don't bother. In this last link, the author was looking to, as he says in part

For example, I use Dell XPS 13 Kaby Lake Ubuntu Edition and I read that kernel 4.10 will provide a performance boost for Kaby Lake processor. This tempted me to upgrade Ubuntu to latest Linux Kernel but Ubuntu won’t be providing this kernel version anytime soon if it ever does. In such a situation, I could choose to upgrade Linux kernel manually.

So it is more a case of, if you have a need of it, fine.

Downside of this choice you make is that under a newer kernel, support for some of your old hardware may be dropped.

So I suggest you keep in touch with your PLAN, and modify it where needed, as as necessary.

From both articles, the dead giveaway as to whom produces the product (Ukuu is Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility) is in the references to the PPA (Personal Package Archive) to be added.

teejeetech.in

This is Tony George, out of India, maker of Timeshift, Aptik, Conky Manager and other good products. So it is likely to be reliable, at the least. :)

Timeshift already ships as standard with Linux Mint 18.3 'Sylvia' series onwards, also with Linux Lite 4.0. But if you wish access to Timeshift and Tony's other products, and you are not using one of those Distros, then I would take the instructions listed in both articles, and add Timeshift to it as follows

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get ukuu timeshift aptik aptik-gtk

You may not know it yet but you could use Aptik as well.

In a multibooting situation such as Jeffrey is embarking on, I would also suggest, if using Ukuu, try it out first on a Distro that is not ruling the roost, ie not the Primary partition on your Grub Menu, then you are less likely to brick your system ... although the installation of a newer kernel may initiate a change on the leaderboard.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts