Ubuntu to Make Firefox Snap Default in 21.10

I haven't used it, but there's this https://github.com/AppImageCrafters/appimage-cli-tool

Didn't people use to do that before package managers existed? Download and manage(compile) software?
Package Managers for Linux already existed when I first started with Linux, I'm just saying I don't want to go back to a similar situation where I have to manually download something whether that be AppImages, MSI or Exe installers. Thanks for that tool I'll have a look.

Yes, that was the case for me too, thing is you said Lastly having to manually download and manage software isn't very Linux like working
Yes I know my point was I don't want to go back to a Windows situation where I have to manually download msi and exe files, but in this case AppImages on Linux.

Tolkem said:
Didn't people use to do that before package managers existed? Download and manage(compile) software?
Ah, the dark ages. I missed them in linux, but before linux it was a little like that everywhere. Actually, some people still do it that way. Debian has an inbetween option of grabbing packages and compiling them. Arch PKGBUILD is basically that and IIRC Gentoo still uses source-based packages. I guess compiling your own source has advantages of being able to tweak things so it'll always be around. TBH, I wish it was a rule of thumb that most stuff was source-based, though still managed by a package manager, coz it'd make things more universal at the cost of patience.

I tryed all the web brewers they all junk. Add firefox to snap does not make the problem any better. snap are alfa quality software

Well, if all the browsers are crap, then the discussion is "lesser of evils", lol. I actually posted my similar predicament earlier.
That said, AFAIK, snaps can be rolled back or "reverted" I believe the cool kids call it, so you don't have to use the latest version of a software (which may not be alpha, it depends entirely on upstream, that -- I would always release my software as "stable" and "nightly", prolly more aptly named "monthly" given my 20-something WIPs still atchived from my coding days).

Members online

Latest posts