Ubuntu starting questions

L

Loempiavogel

Dear linux users !

I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop.
Now i have a couple of questions:

1 - I installed it with Wubi ( From my windows installation ), I installed it on my E:\ Drive with a 27GB space.
What did Linux made out of it : 73GB .. How did it do that ? or did it just took all unallocated space and made 1 partition out of it ?

2 - I started installing Sublime Text on it, extracted tar.bz2 file and it worked.
But now i have Sublime Text in my Downloads folder.
Which folder is the best to install software to ? At least i geuss there must be somewhere some kind of program files folder or something ^^

3 - Does anyone have a link to a website to get to know the terminal commands?
I think it will be very helpfull to start with linux from the terminal instead of the UI not ? ( Especially since i will be installing a webserver after this experience :) )

Thanks !
- Vogel

Hello Loempiavogel!

Dear linux users !

I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop.
Now i have a couple of questions:

1 - I installed it with Wubi ( From my windows installation ), I installed it on my E:\ Drive with a 27GB space.
What did Linux made out of it : 73GB .. How did it do that ? or did it just took all unallocated space and made 1 partition out of it ?

We have no way of knowing that from the information you have given here. What are the sizes of other partitions, before and after your WUBI install?

2 - I started installing Sublime Text on it, extracted tar.bz2 file and it worked.
But now i have Sublime Text in my Downloads folder.
Which folder is the best to install software to ? At least i geuss there must be somewhere some kind of program files folder or something ^^

Well, are there any settings options available on this sublime text app? What did you do to "make it work"? Somewhere there must be a config file, you need to find it and adjust the path in there to match where you want to move the application directory to.

3 - Does anyone have a link to a website to get to know the terminal commands?
I think it will be very helpfull to start with linux from the terminal instead of the UI not ? ( Especially since i will be installing a webserver after this experience :) )

Great idea, command line makes you understand what you are doing instead of just clicking stuff.

I can help you with this! ;)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux+terminal+command+line+tutorial

Ha roligt och vara försiktig! as they say in Swedish ;)

YW

First off, I cannot recommend 12.10 but 12.04
Next, I would not use WUBI and cannot help anyone who does.
Lastly, please read techieMoe's piece on pkg mgt

Just a hardass today. Best wishes!

how can i install omniORB IN UBUNTU ? urgent help needed:(

hey m newbie in linux can u please please help me out ...i have downloaded omniORB 4.1.6 but i am having problems in installing it
using these steps are not helping me out
./configure
make install

its a middleware ...and i have to use this in my project so please can u tell me the steps to install it on ubuntu 10.04
tried synaptic manager too ..and software centre also but of no use

Members online

Latest posts