Ubuntu Server 18.04 issues

Nasho23

Reaction score
Credits
I am setting up Ubuntu Server 18.04 on an old spare PC, on a seperated HDD of 329 GB. to run OenCloud Server. I am setting up using Entire Disk with LVM (Whatever that is). The Install seemed to go OK with no obvious issues. However; when I come to install Ubuntu Desktop and GParted, I start seeing problem, with messages such as not sufficient disk space, etc.
It appears to me that the Install Formats the HDD to Ext 4 with the necessary Partitions, which now appear to be too small and it is an issue to resize sda2 with parted, which error messages such as Invalid Token, etc.
1/ Is there any way I can control the Partition sizes to overcome the issue of insufficient disk space issues.
2/ I prefer to work from a GUI rather than a Command Line, as I am the Perfect Novice with Linux, but cannot seem to get GUI to work.
3/ I tried to install Gnome Desktop but cannot get it to open.
4/ I installed GParted but I cannot access it either.
I am about to wipe the disk and start again for the Third time.
Can anyone please provide me with some guidance.
Thank You.

G'day @Nasho23 and welcome to linux.org :D

I don't work with Servers, nor with LVM, so I'll be moving this Thread to Servers, where someone else may be better situated to help.

Good luck

LVM stands for Logical Volume Management. It is a system of managing logical volumes, or filesystems, that is much more advanced and flexible than the traditional method of partitioning a disk into one or more segments and formatting that partition with a filesystem.

https://www.howtogeek.com/211937/how-to-use-lvm-on-ubuntu-for-easy-partition-resizing-and-snapshots/

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank you Chris for this article on LVM. I will now wait till I hear something from the Server Group, which I had thought I posted with. Cheers.

can you send output from ..
sudo vgdisplay
..and ...
sudo lvdisplay

also df -h might help if possible.

as far as I know gparted only with physical volumes, not logical volumes.

Thank You Chaps for your info - Unfortunately I cannot take Screen Shots to send you.
I am going to ry to Wipe the Disk this morning and start over again and select "Entire Disk" this time instead of "Entire Disk with LVM" Hopefully, this will provide Manual Partitioning - see where we go form there - Hopefull I can get a GUI up and working on the Ubuntu Server 18.04 Cheers

Regrets I wasn't around earlier :D

Nasho, Entire Disk will run Ubiquity (the installer for Ubuntu and Linux Mint) through a stock standard, OOTB (out of the box), config in setting up your OS.

If you wish a hands on interaction with partition setup, choose Other/Something Else at bottom of window pane, for manual partitioning. The installer will run a review of the proposed changes past you before you commit to the install.

Cheers

Wizard

Thank You Wizard - Today I have has success with installing Ubuntu Server 18.04 by selecting "Entire Disk" but I allowed it to go ahead and do the partitioning. I have run the Updates and it appears to be settled down, I have been successful in installing GNOME 3 Desktop GUI - much better, at this point. Not impressed with Gnome Disks as a Disk Manager - can you please advise on something better that is easily to install. My next step now is to read up on the installation of "OwnCloud Server", but before I get to that point, I need to sort out how to create my Public IP Address and Sub Mask - none of the Forums I ask this question have come back to me - at the moment I am using a Static Home Network address, which my External Family Members cannot access, because it is not Public. You may have advice on this topic also. Thank you for your interest and assistance to a Novice. Cheers, Owen Carlton..

Good to hear you are up and running, Owen. :)

Take a wander over to Networking and near top right it has Post Thread.

Include some detail in the title as you have done here eg "Ubuntu 18.04 - Need networking advice" and go from there.

...Gnome Disks as a Disk Manager - can you please advise on something better that is easily to install

More versatile is also a GNOME product - the GNOME Partition Editor aka GParted.

It may already be on your 'Bionic Beaver', our Terminal can be accessed in Ubuntu and Linux Mint with Ctrl-Alt-t . Launch it and type and enter

Code:
apt-cache policy gparted

If it says it is not installed, then

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install gparted

... the -y simply says yes to installing for any prompts of yes/no - safe to do with software that is in our Repositories (Repos) which are like a warehouse you have access to.

In many Distros (distributions) invoking sudo - (gives you root privileges) the cursor may not move as you enter your password - security measure.

Given you have dedicated the entire disk to one LInux - GParted has a safety feature built in that you cannot manipulate your partitions from within the OS session you are running. If you end up running more than one Linux (I run 90) you can use Gparted from another to manipulate the other. BTW this limitation would also affect the GNOME Partition Editor.

If you keep the install medium, USB stick or DVD for Ubuntu, its inbuilt GParted can be used to work on your hard drive, or if you have a blank CD (only a few hundred MB in size), you can run GParted Live - https://gparted.org/livecd.php

I'll leave you with the following suggestions:

1. Some time, swing by

https://www.linux.org/forums/member-introductions.141/

and tell us a little of the Owen Carlton story and meet a few of The Gang, and

2. While you are in Terminal

Code:
sudo enable ufw

This will enable your firewall - the Uncomplicated Fire Wall, which will provide a basic protection, You can later install from the Repos GUFW (the GUI ie point and click) version and learn about or ask about Rules to set up in our Security section.

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Thank You Wizard for you valuable advice. I will digest this over the next few days as tomorrow I have a Reserve Forces Parade Assembly to attend, so the day will be stuffed.

A worthy undertaking .. enjoy :)

Mate, you're a flamin' Aussie, yeah?

NNTR - no need to reply

Wiz

Yes Mate - I am amd Proud to be an Aussie - Where are you in OZ. Cheers.

near Stanthorpe QLD in the curly bit at the bottom of the state.

Members online

Latest posts