Ubuntu replacement

just_raz

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I have win10(/dev/sda1,sda2,sda3) and ubuntu mate 18.10(/dev/sda4) on my pc. I plan to install Arch Linux in dualboot with windows. I was wondering if i need to re-install grub(/dev/sda) as part of the install process because i will format /dev/sda4 with cfdisk and skip creating swap. Thank you.

Grub will get reinstalled no matter what. I believe what you're referring to is actually the boot loader. That tells the computer where to go when booting up for boot instructions. With current Windows installations, the boot loader points to some Windows file and automatically just goes in and loads Windows. When you load Linux, the boot loader points to /boot where Grub is stored and brings up the Grub Menu which then tells the computer where to go for the rest of the instructions (SDA1 or SDA4). The boot loader during install will automatically point to SDA.

Grub will get reinstalled no matter what. I believe what you're referring to is actually the boot loader. That tells the computer where to go when booting up for boot instructions. With current Windows installations, the boot loader points to some Windows file and automatically just goes in and loads Windows. When you load Linux, the boot loader points to /boot where Grub is stored and brings up the Grub Menu which then tells the computer where to go for the rest of the instructions (SDA1 or SDA4). The boot loader during install will automatically point to SDA.
I meant if I still need to run pacman-S grub os-prober or if I can just use the grub left from Ubuntu and ignore the creation of grub.cfg

when you reinstall the OS, it will run all the grub configurations automatically. If you have any custom configurations, you'll need to reenter them afterwards. So for instance, every time I reinstall Linux I have to edit Grub with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="ipv6.disable=1" in order to disable IPV6 on my laptop. Just in case anyone wonders why, it's cause my VPN doesn't support it and www.whatsmyip.com can see my IPV6 address. But seeing the Windows partition, will automatically be setup during install.

I meant if I still need to run pacman-S grub os-prober...

Yes

or if I can just use the grub left from Ubuntu and ignore the creation of grub.cfg

No

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day @just_raz and welcome to linux.org :)

The OP I think is talking about the way that Arch is built from the ground up, including the install process.

Ubuntu (Debian-based) and Arch provide somewhat different versions of grub.cfg.

So you will need to follow the Arch protocols in order to ensure success.

There is an article around somewhere about dual-booting Arch alongside Win 10, have you read it?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online