Ubuntu help

Indognito

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I’m hoping that someone may be able to assist me.
I installed Ubuntu 18.04 onto virtualBox.
Windows 10 host machine.
Apparently Ubuntu cannot see my audio card.
What can I do to repair this?
I have absolutely no sound.
Thanks

Gday @Indognito and welcome to linux.org :)

I'm just about out for my evening (Australia) but someone will be along.

Can you go to Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and provide the outputs for the following?

Code:
inxi -A

#and

lspci -v | grep -i audio

That will give us a good start.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW if inxi returns not found

Code:
sudo apt install inxi

Thanks so much for taking the time to assist me Chris . I am very new to linux and this has been quite frustrating.

Installed inxi

######@ubuntu:~$ lspci -v | grep -i audio
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller

Ta (Aussie for thanks, pron. "tar) for that input/output.

My disclaimer is that I have only a limited knowledge on VMs (have Arch Linux running under VirtualBox on an Arch-based Distro, Swagarch) and on Audio.

Hopefully if I get stuck, we can call on The Big Guns, or the Cavalry may swing through?

If you give us a variation of the lspci command, without the -v

Code:
lspci | grep -i audio

that will give us an ID number we can run, too.

Also, can you try

Code:
alsactl init

and see what it outputs and restart the VM to check?

Curse these timezones, I have to leave again for my evening.

I tried casting a spell a few years ago to allow me to be present simultaneously in multiple timezones, but it went pear-shaped and sent the World into a reverse rotation and we lost a few days. You wouldn't have noticed unless you found you didn't have to shave for a few days.

Cheers

Wizard

lol thanks for keeping my humor alive as well as for the grand wizardy assistance.

#####@ubuntu:~$ lspci | grep -i audio
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

#####@ubuntu:~$ alsactl init
alsactl: init:1757: No soundcards found...

I found another guy experiencing the same issue as me on another site.
I unfortunatly dont understand enough to follow along.

tried to load sound modules

#####@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r` linux-generic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-restricted-modules-5.2.0
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-restricted-modules-5.2.0'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-restricted-modules-5.2.0'
student@ubuntu:~$

lol thanks for keeping my humor alive as well as for the grand wizardy assistance.

Aussie sense of humour - stand around on your heads at the bottom of the world long enough, and everything seems funny.

I found another guy experiencing the same issue as me on another site.

Barking up the wrong tree, mate - not alike at all. Although I understand your mistake.

The Member there is using something like this

Ubuntu on Windows allows one to use Ubuntu Terminal and run Ubuntu command line utilities including bash, ssh, git, apt and many more.

It is not a fully-fledged install, nor a virtual machine guesting. Hence their closing the Thread.

It is also with 16.04 where you are using 18.04 - 2 years the difference.

Typically, I do not steer people away from the question they have asked, I try to answer their question/s.

In this instance, though, I would ask you to look at an alternative and that is WUBI.

Have a read of this article, and then come back here, and I can tell you more about it. Try not to get ahead of me.

BTW I cannot assure you that the sound card issue will work under WUBI, you would have to find that out for yourself.

Here's the article

https://www.lifewire.com/wubi-linux-installation-program-2201175

Cheers

Wiz

If I could I would definitely look at using another system at this time, but unfortunately I need Ubuntu because it is for a course I am doing online to help me understand Linux better, and yes I see the irony in this haha.

currently past midnight here so I am just headed to get some sleep but thank you again for your continued assistance.
I cant believe linux is so complicated that it is taking me this long to solve a audio issue.

I see you guys are focused on Linux being the issue, but have you actually ruled out that the issue could be with Virtualbox? I don't use it so I'm not familiar with it. I use VMWare and there are settings for the sound card it provides to the client OS. You can even disable the sound card from the VMWare configuration. So if you haven't, ensure that the VM is configured with a sound card and that it's enabled.

TechnoJUnky may be on the right track. Check these settings.
Screenshot at 2019-08-05 06-15-03.png

Ok. I have been reading a lot lately and one of the things that seem to be agreed upon by all is that “out of the box” Linux doesn’t have issues.
So that left me believing that the issues may have been caused by either the Virtual Box settings or by the Ubuntu file itself. The Ubuntu OS file was downloaded through a link provided to me by a course I am taking at The Linux Foundation.
I downloaded the actual Ubuntu OS .iso file and loaded a new Virtual machine. No issues.
I can only assume that the package I was directed to has issues.
There were other issues such as it wouldn’t accept caps lock, the capture mouse acted strangely etc..
anyhow. I will use the new VM and carry forward.
Thanks very much for everyone’s assistance.
I look forward to helping others one day.

We look forward to you helping us too ;)
Glad you got a solution that's working.

Members online