Ubuntu fresh installation

Emperion23

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

Today I have installed Ubuntu 20.04.04, installation went smooth, but as soon as I installed the OS, when dragging windows or watching videos in youtube, everything is laggy/sluggish, when dragging window for an example its laggy, videos have poor quality and are laggy as well, overall the performance is not great, I really want to start using linux and enjoy it also use it for coding purposes, but those things are really bothering me, can someone please advise?

PC SPECS:
CPU: i5-4460
GPU: Nvidia gtx 1050 ti
RAM: 8 GB
SSD - 256gb (which I installed the linux on, my PC is dual boot, Windows OS is on separate hard disk)

( I made sure I have all latest drivers installed)

I went through many tutorials and forums and cant seem to find an answer or similar issue, please advise.

Million thanks!

Open the terminal Ctrl+Alt+t and copy and paste this command.

Code:
lsmod | grep nvidia

Copy and paste the output to a post.

If no output appears than the Nvidia proprietary driver is not installed.

After pasting that in the terminal, this is the result:
1648620658699.png

It appears that you're running the Nvidia proprietary driver.

How did it run prior to using the Nvidia proprietary driver.

I've had problems with Nvidia proprietary drivers sometimes causing lagging in videos.

The resolution was really bad before the drivers it allowed me 4:3 and everything was huge and it was unusable

I've had that happen a few times.

I'm kinda of at a loss as what could be causing the lagging.

I know Gnome DE does require a lot of system resources however with the system specs listed in the original post Gnome DE should not be a problem.

You might create a usb bootable media and give Linux Mint Cinnamon a try as a Live run without installing and see if the lagging is still there.

Linux Mint Cinnamon is a Gnome DE.

I believe Ubuntu 20.04.4 comes with 5.13 kernel there have been a few reports of problems with that kernel and some Nvidia cards. Go back to the 5.4 kernel and see if it works better. 5.4 kernel is a long term release and will be supported until 2025.
Also there are some report that Ubuntu using Wayland will not work well with Nvidia cards. I'm not sure Wayland was offered in 20.04.4 but if it is make sure your using xorg as display server. You can check with this command
Code:
loginctl show-session $(awk '/tty/ {print $1}' <(loginctl)) -p Type | awk -F= '{print $2}'
If using wayland the output should look like this
Code:
$ loginctl show-session 2 -p Type                                                
Type=wayland
You can tell which kernel is being used with this command
Code:
uname -r

Last edited:
I've often wondered about the newer kernels being the culprit.

In Linux Lite and Linux Mint I can install Nvidia proprietary driver and have no problem.
Linux Lite and Linux Mint distros use the 5.4 LTS kernel and not the HWE stack kernel.

I don't believe Linux Mint Edge uses the 5.4 kernel since it has newer hardware driver support.

I've often wondered about the newer kernels being the culprit.

In Linux Lite and Linux Mint I can install Nvidia proprietary driver and have no problem.
Linux Lite and Linux Mint distros use the 5.4 LTS kernel and not the HWE stack kernel.

I don't believe Linux Mint Edge uses the 5.4 kernel since it has newer hardware driver support.
Mint Edge uses the 5.13 kernel and I believe has an option for 5.15. They work well with newest Nvidia cards but not ones old than a year or so. At least that's been my experience. I no longer have any machines using Nvidia cards so can't check it out my self.

Re; Graphics -- I had old Dell Latitude D630s and D830 laptops with old nVidea Quadro cards that would not function well after the Linux kernel 5.9.x; they used the old 340.123 driver from nVidea. Now older cards are being phased out for driver support. I noticed newer version nVidea drivers claiming to still support older cards either don't or don't do as well as older proprietary driver versions, it seems.

The GTX 1050 Ti should run on version 375.20

Please use inxi and show the results of the following command:
Code:
inxi -Gxxxz

Re; Graphics -- I had old Dell Latitude D630s and D830 laptops with old nVidea Quadro cards that would not function well after the Linux kernel 5.9.x; they used the old 340.123 driver from nVidea. Now older cards are being phased out for driver support. I noticed newer version nVidea drivers claiming to still support older cards either don't or don't do as well as older proprietary driver versions, it seems.

The GTX 1050 Ti should run on version 375.20

Please use inxi and show the results of the following command:
Code:
inxi -Gxxxz
If op is using stock ubuntu, will have to install inxi with this command
Code:
sudo apt install inxi

Hello, thank you all guys for the help, I researched about the kernel and there seems to be few people reporting it, I will need your help if that will be the case at least to guide me on how to do it, when it comes to running the inxi, those are the results:

And results of uname -r are:
5.13.0-39-generic

Last edited:
I've read where the GTX 1050 Ti comes stock, 2GB OC and 4GB OC -- which? ; users say not to run it on KDE, so Gnome would be an unnecessary draw on resources, as well (as @Bartman suggests); someone running Manjaro says in their forum that Nouveau runs better than proprietary driver with this GPU and on this distro. So, there may be a few variables to work out, it would seem.

Was the card ever overclocked?

Since it's a fresh install and OP wants a 'buntu, get rid of ubuntu in favor of lubuntu 20.04 alternate (can even do a minimal install if wanted and go with a WM) and see if this is a significant improvement or not; and use Nouveau driver, at first. Lower your resolution a little to get frame rates up (xrandr). When and if proprietary driver is installed, use the version 375.20 and see if it makes any difference (after first using the Nouveau driver) because the latest does not always mean the greatest, IME.

Just suggestions from an old GIS Tech regarding video. And wishing you success!

Last edited:
Thank you forester for the detailed info I appreciate it a lot!

To answer your question the card is 4 GB and it was never overclocked, it was barely used to be honest with you since I barely played any video games as well, having that in mind I am wondering, have you tried Lubuntu as mentioned or Mint?

I saw both of them and they both look nice to me, I am just wondering which one should I go for, of course my main reason to have Linux OS to begin with is because it is lighter and I want to use it for coding and cybersecurity purposes only.

I was left with the impression that Ubuntu is a significantly lighter OS than Windows 10, which I am currently running on my dual boot, therefore I am just confused if my PC specs are bottlenecking the OS therefore causing that issue to begin with.

I want to use it for coding and cybersecurity purposes only.
In which case can I suggest you look at Parrot home edition, once you have become proficient in using Linux and the terminal [along with its codes] you can install the pen-testing tools and start working towards your certification

Thank you for your suggestion Brickwizard I will definitely take a look at the Parrot OS, but based on the conversation in this thread, since I am really new to Linux in general, does it seem like my PC is not good enough to run Ubuntu? Or it is the GPU specifically that is causing the issue?

I have absolutely no idea what your computer is, apart from the fact it is fairly modern [i5] some problems may be specific to a particular make/model, some to specific hardware and some from incompatibility of drivers, so I will make 2 suggestions to you,
download HOME edition[ https://parrotsec.org/download/ ] and MX-21AHS [ 64 bit AHS (Xfce) with 5.14 kernel ] , and give both of them a spin "live" from pendrive to see if they work without problems
if you have Linux installed in a terminal, run inxi -Fnx to see a basic overview of your kit [ if you are going to share the information add a z at the end [to remove sensitive information] inxi Fnxz
just a small point, most professional security engineers will never run a pen-testing installation on the hard drive of their main computer, they will use either a V.M. a live pen drive installation , or a second machine for added safety, but you're not ready for that yet, just something to remember

Last edited:
With lubuntu, one has a dev on-hand to help -- our moderator.

I am indeed on the Lubuntu dev team (not as a developer) and I am indeed a moderator.

So, it checks out!

If OP is looking for a pretty awesome distro, Lubuntu is pretty solid. If Ubuntu works, Lubuntu will work - and vise-versa. Ubuntu has some great hardware compatibility, and a number of viable sources for support. This site is now recognized as an official support channel for Lubuntu - but I'd caution folks to remind 'em that I'm just a tester and not omniscient.

Staff online