Ubuntu Devs Detail Plan for 32-bit Support in Ubuntu 19.10

• Thread starter Deleted member 58530
  • Start date

Man this issue really grinds my gears. The argument it is too hard to maintain 32 bit versions of a distro doesn't stack up and is basically based on the fact they can't be bothered. Laziness.

I was shocked by the attitude of a Palemoon developer who said the continued use of 32 bit hardware is annoying - saying "the death of 32bit is slow and very annoying one".

Reference: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=173785#p173785
Well if that's all you can afford - that is all you can afford.

I work in recycling yard at a refuse park and can say that the amount of computers - namely laptops coming through and old 32bit desktops, towers and laptops is scary and could be refurbished with Linux.

I find 32bit distros to be faster on 64bit hardware anyway,.

For the record I will never use Palemoon again - the community is toxic and I would rather use GNUicecat or GNUIceweasel or Seamonkey.

Man this issue really grinds my gears. The argument it is too hard to maintain 32 bit versions of a distro doesn't stack up and is basically based on the fact they can't be bothered. Laziness.
Canonical is a corporation.
Microsoft is a corporation.

Canonical and Microsoft are partners.
What's not to understand.

I personally have no problem with the decision and I'm surprised that 32 bit anything has survived this long.

It's about the amount of money it cost to keep the support for 32 bit software and if it were you you would be making the same decision.

No profit in 32 bit these days and you either move ahead or get left behind.

Perhaps you should throw down the needed money to keep 32 bit in development and then lets see what your opinion is.

Trust me if it was all you it would be a different story and you would be doing the same.

It's called "Progress" I don't like it either although I accept it.

Reality.

No complaints from me.

For a start not all of linux is about profit - is supposed to be about freedom and quality and there is also the idea of being able to use perfectly good old hardware with a modern alternative to the corp-orates you have mentioned - since when was Linux all about profit????

There is still plenty of great 32bit hardware out there - lets not just fill the landfill with it but use it.

As for progress there is good progress and then there is well for want of a better term bad progress,

I am blessed to have 32bit hardware and some 64bit stuff all was reclaimed from trash. Not everybody can afford or has the abillity to shell out for a flash 64 bit modern machine.

If I was in Canonical's boat - and I am glad I'm not I would not make that decision - no way.......

If I had the money to support 32bit development I would.

For a start not all of linux is about profit - is supposed to be about freedom and quality and there is also the idea of being able to use perfectly good old hardware with a modern alternative to the corp-orates you have mentioned - since when was Linux all about profit????
Originally it was about freedom not so much now imo.
Canonical is a corporation and corporations are in bussiness to make a profit.
Check out Mark Shuttleworth's net worth.

Home » Businessman » Mark Shuttleworth Wife, Girlfriend, Family, Salary, Net Worth

Mark Shuttleworth Wife, Girlfriend, Family, Salary, Net Worth
Updated On: 08 Jun, 2018

Mark Shuttleworth Wife, Girlfriend, Family, Salary, Net Worth

Quick Information

Date of BirthSeptember 18, 1973
Age46 Years 0 Month(s)
CitizenshipSouth African, British
ProfessionEntrepreneur
Marital StatusSingle
DivorcedNot Yet
Girlfriend/DatingKhanyi Dhlomo-Mkhize (Rumored)
Gay/LesbianNo
Net Worth$500 Million
EthnicityMixed
Social MediaTwitter
Children/KidsNot Yet
HeightN/A
EducationUniversity of Cape Town (1996), Bishops Diocesan College, Rondebosch Boys' High School, Brooks School
ParentsRichard Dalton Shuttleworth, Ronelle Shuttleworth

South African entrepreneur, Mark Shuttleworth is best recognized as the founder and the Chief Executive Officer of Canonical limited, a UK based software company. His company Canonical is known for the development of Linus based Ubuntu Operating system. The business mogul is also known as the first African tourist to travel space in the year 2002.
What Is Mark Shuttleworth’s Net Worth?
The 44-year-old entrepreneur has amassed a net worth of $500 million. He accumulates a significant portion of his net worth from his company Canonical Limited that he founded in March 2004. As the CEO of Canonical Limited, he is entitled to a handsome salary in millions of dollars.
The company generates a profit from 800 paying customers that includes Netflix, Tesla, and Deutsche Telekom. The company galvanized the modern world when they created operating system Ubuntu, which can connect almost everything to the internet, in October 2004. His creation helped him and his company to bring in big cash.
Mark previously founded Thawte Consulting, a certified entity, that issued digital certificates back in 1995. A networking company, Verisign later acquired Thawte Consulting for $575 million in 1999. The selling of Thawte Consulting has also added a significant portion of revenues in his fortunes.
The entrepreneur splashed out $20 million to travel space in Russia's Soyuz TM-34 rocket ship in 2002. Mark’s mother Ronelle Shuttleworth also announced at "highlight of Durbanville's 200th anniversary" in Durbanville Town Hall that her son is donating $12 million to upgrade two libraries in Durbanville community in August 2006.

Not everybody can afford or has the abillity to shell out for a flash 64 bit modern machine.
All of my computers are other users discarded Windows computers or curb finds.

My flash 64 bit modern machine.
Notice the date 09/18/2006 yep it's a flash 64 bit modern machine.

Code:
antix1@antix1:~
$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 5.2.8-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2
           Distro: antiX-17.4.1_x64-base Helen Keller 28 March 2019 base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: HP Pavilion 061 product: RF170AV-ABA d4650y v: 0qm1114CT101BASSW00 serial: <filter>
           Mobo: ASUSTek model: Basswood v: 1.05 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: 3.08 date: 09/18/2006
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 6400 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: 6 L2 cache: 2048 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 8533
           Speed: 1838 MHz min/max: 1600/2133 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1600 2: 1600
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
           Display: server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1152x720~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV46 v: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801H HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.2.8-antix.1-amd64-smp
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82562V 10/100 Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: ff00 bus ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 16.07 GiB (14.4%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD1200JD-00HBB0 size: 111.79 GiB
RAID:      Hardware-1: Intel SATA Controller [RAID mode] driver: ahci v: 3.0 bus ID: 00:1f.2
Partition: ID-1: / size: 107.53 GiB used: 16.07 GiB (14.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 54 C
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 123 Uptime: 6h 45m Memory: 3.85 GiB used: 613.4 MiB (15.6%) Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers:
           gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.33
antix1@antix1:~
$

Nifty isn't it cost me a fortune, paid $5.00 cash at a thrift store.

Don't get me wrong I'm all about keeping old computers alive however I'm also smart enough to realize when it's time to get a computer that's more modern that will keep up with todays world.

32 bit limits amount of memory.
64 bit allows more memory and more memory allows for overall better performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online