Ubuntu 23.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmch

Reaction score
Credits
Has anyone upgraded to this yet?

I tried from 22.04, and also tried installing 23.04 onto a new SSD and in both cases when I boot up I get this, and it just flashes over and over. Is it my BIOS do you think?

ubuntu-error.jpg

Hmm...

This has been heavily tested on the Lubuntu side. I can vouch for that.

From a brief search and checking your errors, it looks like a hardware issue. Can you describe your setup a little? Like, you mention trying to install it on a new SSD. Are they both internal disks? Can you tell your computer (usually an F key during boot, the custom one-time startup menu is what I'm asking about) to boot to a specific device and see what happens?

When looking up some of the output from your screen, I'm finding people with hardware errors. I refuse to believe you had two disks (one new) die at the same time! Well, it could happen, but what are the odds?!?

Yeah, sorry for the vagueness. I'm running an older computer (Intel i7-3770k) with 3 internal SSDs. I boot from whichever by selecting through BIOS. One boots to Win 10 which I'm using now perfectly fine. Another booted to Ubuntu 22.04 which I've used all day and just upgraded to 23.04 (doesn't boot now). And the 3rd I keep around for whatever.

So I put 23.04 on a USB stick and then installed it on that 3rd drive. But it gives the same error. Maybe I'll try a different distro and see what happens before wasting anyone's time on it.

Yeah, all I'm finding for results lead to hardware issues - and I'm skeptical that that'd be your problem, given the redundancy. Let us know what happens with a different distro on one of the drives.

Writing this on Fedora 38 just fine. Guess I'll try going back to Ubuntu LTS.

So I installed 22.04.2 LTS from scratch on that 3rd SSD and it works. What's interesting though is that the boot up info screenshot in my first post still shows in the LTS boot screen anyway. I guess it was there all along so it's only a problem with 23.

Could it be Ubuntu's new installer that is the problem? Just wondering.

Strange, I have a cheap Chinese mini PC (Intel N5095 CPU) with internal SSD that also displays these ugly ACPI bug error messages when booting Xubuntu 22.04 but it seems to work fine. Not tried updating to 23 yet but I will now for curiosity.

It does have a different installer (GUI wise anyway). It also seemed flaky for me, as in it wouldn't progress to the dark/light mode set-up and quit the installer without warning.

Yep,

Flutter-based Installer by Default​

Ubuntu new installer
Canonical has been working on a modernized installer backed by Subiquity that looks and feels good.

The installer is packaged as a snap and the minimal install option is now faster with the new makeover.

The new installer also aims to provide meaningful information to new users while improving the user experience. Some slides, animations, and loading screens will seem entirely different.

Overall, the installation experience should be faster and more intuitive.
not sure if it just ubuntu proper or all spins.

Just tried a clean install of Xubuntu 23.04 on the same mini-PC and there are still a lot ugly ACPI boot error messages but it does appear to run OK.

I tend to give the interim releases between LTS versions a miss since they are more experimental. Will likely revert to my 22.04 LTS backup unless there are any worthwhile improvements.

I never upgrade I always do clean install - less problems that way - I also do not use those Interim version they are only good for 9 months then die, so whats the point

It looks like an ACPI error flood is caused by the int3403 temp sensor library, which can be unloaded from the kernel without any other visible system effect.
You can add acpi=off to boot options in grub config.
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash acpi=off"
hopefully all those erroneous errors will quit getting logged in syslog

Worth a try but it didn't work on this cheapo PC. It just crashed (froze) with a blank screen with both 23.04 and 22.04. Xubuntu 22.04 runs fine with the boot error messages so I'll just stick with that.

You can try to get rid of these messages while booting, you can add loglevel=3 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in etc/default/grub, so that it will look like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash loglevel=3"

then update grub using command:
Code:
sudo update-grub

rmch showed output:
Code:
ACPI BIOS Error (bug)
and asked:
Is it my BIOS do you think?
One way to check is ensure that you have the latest BIOS flashed to the motherboard.

BIOS/UEFI developers don't always implement the entire ACPI specification into their BIOS/UEFI, or worse, they implement it in an abbreviated or truncated way so that when the linux kernel tries to read some specific ACPI parameters which have been left out by developers, it fails and reports these sort of errors. The best one can do about these errors is to try to upgrade the BIOS. There's info about this in the kernel docs.

There may be something else implicated in the failure to boot in this case, but it may be useful to eliminate the BIOS factor.

Last edited:
Have you tried installing with the 'old' installer? I've heard that is an option. Apparently the 'new' installer tends to fall over and bump its' head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts