Ubuntu 20.04 on LENOVO ThinkPad T410

JorgeSquared

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there,

a general question: is it possible to upgrade from Windows 7 to, say, Ubuntu 20.04, on an old LENOVO ThinkPad T410? I have Intel Core i5 M 520 @ 2.40 GHz with 4.00 GB of RAM. I am just going to check out live boot from USB and I am just wondering. And what about 22.04? Does anyone have any experience?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Hello and welcome to Linux.org. I'm an official Ubuntu Member and can speak to this -- a little.

*puts on his official Ubuntu hat*

If you're going to go with an Ubuntu flavor, of which there are a few - but they're all Ubuntu underneath, you might just as well go with the most recent and, if preferred, the most recent long term stable (LTS) version.

Currently, as happens every two years, both of those things happen to be true - it is both the most recent and a LTS version. Odds are good that your hardware will work just fine in any of the official flavors. It's in the right age group, not too old and not too new, so your experience should be pretty good.

As for 22.04, I am actually on the Lubuntu team (of which I'm also a Member) and work closely with the developers to ensure you get the fewest bugs possible with our enviable testing. We test very, very heavily - as compared to the other official flavors and even Ubuntu itself.

All the flavors of Ubuntu, be it Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Lubuntu, etc., are all just Ubuntu with different defaults, maybe different installers, different desktops and the likes - but they're all Ubuntu. You can turn any of them into Ubuntu and tern Ubuntu into any of them.

So, I personally have hundreds of hours of experience with what you know as 22.04. I say give it a shot, though my personal preference is Lubuntu.

One thing to remember before you jump in...

It's not Windows and you will have to learn new skills. Be prepared for a learning curve - but you can jump in and start using it pretty darned easily. It's really only complicated when you make it complicated, which is where the learning curve is.

Welcome to the forums
your laptop is capable of running any 64-bit Linux distribution, but I will say that Lenovo can be a bit fiddly to set up correctly,
you will need to disable windows quick start [in the BIOS] if it's enabled

non Teck installation instructions can be found here.. How Do I Install Linux (A General Guide) • Linux Tips

Hello @JorgeSquared and welcome to the forum.
You have received good advise already and I would add with your set up you should be able to run any of the ubuntu flavors.
I would say however that ubuntu proper which uses a modified gnome desktop would do better if you could add about 4 more gigs of ram. All the other flavors should be relatively smooth on that machine.

Thanks for all replies, and yes, the installation really went smoothly with 20.04, although 8 GB would be better of course. In fact, RAM was my main concern here but even with the rather minimalistic 4 GB, it's working!

Members online