Ubuntu 20.04 LTS not working correctly with my DRELANMIC Mono USB Microphone

CommodoreX

Reaction score
Credits
Hello world, I'm CommodoreX, and as my thread title's name is suggesting I need help with getting my mic to work. Basically, whenever I plug it in, it recognizes the device but doesn't interpret audio despite being unmuted. I have no other microphones plugged in, and can't figure out for the life of me how to get it to work.

If you need screenshots, specs, or anything else to help provide a reason for this issue I will try to provide it

Run:
Code:
pavucontrol
Go to the Input Devices tab
Click the lock icon to unlock the channels
Under Port, select the correct microphone (front or rear)

Run:
Code:
pavucontrol
Go to the Input Devices tab
Click the lock icon to unlock the channels
Under Port, select the correct microphone (front or rear)
I opened pavucontrol and went to input devices, I'm not able to unlock the channels of my microphone as it is a mono, meaning it has 1 channel. Do I mess with the other device(s) channels? If so, which one?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-03-31 19-52-53.png
    Screenshot from 2022-03-31 19-52-53.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 289
The only other one I would change is the mic for your computer you can turn that one off and use the headset mic only
the one to change is Monitor of PulseEffects(mic)

The only other one I would change is the mic for your computer you can turn that one off and use the headset mic only
the one to change is Monitor of PulseEffects(mic)
I'm not using a headset mic, I'm using an independent USB Microphone

As a test, try to
Code:
pulseaudio --kill
and then plug the MIC in (while making sure that pulseaudio has not launched from any other sources) If you can manage switch the configuration within pavucontrol so that it uses the profile "Multichannel Input" or "Mono Input", it should come up without going into the restart loop and let you use just about all of the mic's functions

As a test, try to
Code:
pulseaudio --kill
and then plug the MIC in (while making sure that pulseaudio has not launched from any other sources) If you can manage switch the configuration within pavucontrol so that it uses the profile "Multichannel Input" or "Mono Input", it should come up without going into the restart loop and let you use just about all of the mic's functions
I've successfully set it to multichannel input, but that didn't resolve my issue. Apologies if it's becoming annoying to find that nothing seems to work, I promise you the mic itself works outside of Ubuntu not registering properly (I've tested it on Windows 7, and on Windows 10, it was perfectly fine then.)

Attachments

• MultChanConfirmed.png
    MultChanConfirmed.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 195
What about the Mono Input? do the same thing except change it to Mono - after that I am afraid I have run out of ideas

What about the Mono Input? do the same thing except change it to Mono - after that I am afraid I have run out of ideas
After swapping back to the Mono Input, I can confirm that nothing has changed. Thank you for trying to help, I greatly appreciate it. Maybe someone who knows this specific issue will come along, until then I'll be relying on windows to use my mic I guess

I wish I could help, but I've never had a mic not work automatically. Your mic may have some wonky features that require a driver.

Note: Needing a driver doesn't mean needing to manually install one. It may already be present in Windows and not need installation, for example.

I wish I could help, but I've never had a mic not work automatically. Your mic may have some wonky features that require a driver.

Note: Needing a driver doesn't mean needing to manually install one. It may already be present in Windows and not need installation, for example.
Would it be wise to swap into windows 10, check for whichever drivers are allowing it to work, and then see how I could possibly introduce those to my Ubuntu or something of that sort?

Would it be wise to swap into windows 10, check for whichever drivers are allowing it to work, and then see how I could possibly introduce those to my Ubuntu or something of that sort?

Sadly, no. No, the drivers from Windows are in no way compatible with Linux.

When the thread was still new, I did some searching. The closest solution I found was that it was 'best done' in ALSA with USB mics. While switching to ALSA isn't really hard, it has potential to mess up the rest of your sound operations and I'm under the impression that you're fairly new.

Hmm... Does it appear in your 'lsusb' output when plugged in?

The only other thing I can think of is to try JACK open the Synaptic Package Manager and search for jackd - JACK is a low-latency sound server, allowing multiple applications to connect to one audio device, and to share audio between themselves.

Also with Mic plugged in try
Code:
lsmod | grep snd
and look for the modules usbcore, snd_usb_audio, snd_usb_lib. If they are loaded, the USB sound should work.
to see if the USB-microphone is detected and installed, try:
Code:
cat /proc/asound/cards

Sadly, no. No, the drivers from Windows are in no way compatible with Linux.

When the thread was still new, I did some searching. The closest solution I found was that it was 'best done' in ALSA with USB mics. While switching to ALSA isn't really hard, it has potential to mess up the rest of your sound operations and I'm under the impression that you're fairly new.

Hmm... Does it appear in your 'lsusb' output when plugged in?
I'm afraid it does not show up, but it still registers in the sound settings?

The only other thing I can think of is to try JACK open the Synaptic Package Manager and search for jackd - JACK is a low-latency sound server, allowing multiple applications to connect to one audio device, and to share audio between themselves.

Also with Mic plugged in try
Code:
lsmod | grep snd
and look for the modules usbcore, snd_usb_audio, snd_usb_lib. If they are loaded, the USB sound should work.
to see if the USB-microphone is detected and installed, try:
Code:
cat /proc/asound/cards
After doing the first command I can't seem to find usbcore or snd_usb_lib, however I CAN find snd_usb_audio however it has no following information like the other things on the list seem to.
After attempting the second command, it DOES detect it, saying
Code:
1 [DRELANMIC      ]: USB-Audio - DRELANMIC
                      Solid State System Co.,Ltd. DRELANMIC at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.2, full speed[code]
idk the takeaway from this, but here's a screenshot to better explain

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-04-09 21-01-35.png
    Screenshot from 2022-04-09 21-01-35.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 198
you are using snd_usbmidi_lib which is fine but it looks like snd_usb_lib is not loaded

Do a fresh reboot with the Mic plugged in try
Code:
sudo modprobe snd_usb_audio
and run
Code:
lsmod | grep snd
again and see if it shows

Last edited by a moderator:
you are using snd_usbmidi_lib which is fine but it looks like snd_usb_lib is not loaded

Do a fresh reboot with the Mic plugged in try
Code:
sudo modprobe snd_usb_audio
and run
Code:
lsmod | grep snd
again and see if it shows
I've done as you've asked, yet still my mic does not seem to work.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-04-10 09-56-34.png
    Screenshot from 2022-04-10 09-56-34.png
    124 KB · Views: 172
does your Mic show up in alsamixer?
Code:
alsamixer
you will need to maximize the window to see everything

also is you Drelan Mic tetrahedral?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online