ubuntu 19 usb problem back

Gary worley

Reaction score
Credits
hey
peeps
Finally got all my usbs running on the gigabyte GA-970-ds3p-fx motherboard after reading a lot and finally fixing.
It was editing the /etc/default/grub file .
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft" and the other line to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quite splash amd_iommu=on iommu=pt.
And enabling iommu in bios.
So now ive upgraded ubuntu to 19 and no matter what i do with the grub file the two 3.0 usbs will not work they wont even show at command line.
lsusb.
So if any one else has this problem and sorts it [lease let me know.
cheers
sepp

Cheers wiz
I owe you a drink working fine now
thanks
gary

If it ain't broke, don't fix it springs to mind :)

Just for accuracy for The Viewers, the line from Gary above should be "quiet splash" not "quite splash". Not being anal ... well, OK I am , ask my wife.

Mate hindsight now, but good advice is that if you are going to upgrade from a stable LTS (long-term support) such as Ubuntu 18.04 'Bionic Beaver' to a point release, in this case 19.04, or even 18.10 'Cosmic Cuttlefish' to 19.04...

make friends with Timeshift, easy to install on Ubuntu or any other distro (ships installed with Linux Mint 18.3 onwards, also Linux Lite 4.x series)

Then if something goes wrong, you can roll back, and investigate at your leisure rather than at your inconvenience.

I don't know about the USB 3 sticks problem, but will keep my eyes open and report back if I find anything.

Cheers

Wiz

Yer its a grub problem
Usb 3s work until you boot into ubuntu and then they stop working.
I have only 5 lines in grub so a case of trial and error until they wiork.
All the other usbs are working so no great rush to solve.

which kernel are you running?....have you tried changing the kernel ?

Ukuu makes changing the kernel fairly straightforward.

He is on 19.04 'Disco Dingo' now, there may not be an opportunity to dial down one.

Wiz

hi
yer just tried to install ukuu.
added
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ukuu
and i get.
Fetched 257 kB in 1s (244 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package ukuu
so went to packages.ubuntu.com to search for it .
Says it does not exist?
But thanks anyway
cheers
sepp

If you have to load ppa:teejee2008/ppa to install it, you won't find it at packages.ubuntu.com. You need to look in teejee2008. When I search on this ukuu, I find https://teejeetech.in/ukuu/. At the bottom it says you need to purchase a license. I'm assuming you'll get download/install instructions when you purchase the license. At very least, VeeJee should give you support if you have issues after purchasing the license.

If you have to load ppa:teejee2008/ppa to install it, you won't find it at packages.ubuntu.com. You need to look in teejee2008. When I search on this ukuu, I find https://teejeetech.in/ukuu/. At the bottom it says you need to purchase a license. I'm assuming you'll get download/install instructions when you purchase the license. At very least, VeeJee should give you support if you have issues after purchasing the license.
cheers
bud
It was recommended to me by a member ,as part of ubuntu.
I don't like paying for things.
but thanks
sepp

He is on 19.04 'Disco Dingo' now, there may not be an opportunity to dial down one.

Wiz
Hi bud
Just letting you know i,ve downloaded timeshift and ive set it up. i also have a live ubuntu disk incase i really mess up.
cheers for the advice
sepp

Did you click on 'enter' after sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa ....??

Read Here

I would never point you to something that costs money. In Linux/Ubuntu we are about open source. Therefore, no $ involved

"you need to purchase a license'....is hogswash....it is probably a 'con' by the owner/author to raise a few funds. (he does have expenses like all of us)

I have Ukuu on my own PC and can assure you it is free. I intensely dislike spending money on software, if I don't have to.

Ukuu

press enter after each command

ps....just an afterthought ....I am unfamiliar with Ubuntu.....but ....I believe there is a "Software center' included with it..?....It may be possible, that Ukuu is included in that.

Last edited:
BIG STOP HERE, FOLKS, READ THE FOLLOWING POST

Wizard

I understand, my bad, thanks Brian. :)

This is a new initiative of Tony's with 19.01 UKUU, details are here, and due to lack of donations (Tony works a fulltime job, and products like Timeshift are a labour of love for Linux, and he asks you to buy him a coffee :D)

https://teejeetech.in/2019/01/20/ukuu-v19-01/#more-483

Wiz

Back on the ranch, I am still wondering if swapping kernels will solve @Gary worley 's problem of ""the two 3.0 usbs will not work they wont even show at command line""

Hi
Thanks everyone for your info. Looks like ukuu is not available for free any more. So unless someone wants to send me a free copy I'm open to any other ideas on how to change my shell version. I am fairly new to Linux so something not to complicated would be ideal
Cheers
Srpp

Ukuu is still available for free, I have just installed it on Ubuntu MATE 18.04, and also on Elementary OS 5 'Juno'.

Version is 18.9 and can be installed by adding Tony's PPA as previously. When it is launched for the first time, it tells you there is a newer, paid version available, that is 19.x

4TfKtkp.png

Wizard

nope sorry not working for me loaded tonys ppa.
then
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ukuu
says package not found

Wizard's Note to The Viewers

Gary/sepp has informed me elsewhere that he has got himself a copy of Ukuu to install.

He might let us know how that goes.

Wizard

Members online