Ubuntu 18.04.2 Dual Boot Windows 10 failure

George H.

Reaction score
Credits
I installed Ubuntu 18.04.2 via USB stick after making room on my C:/ drive. I can only access Ubuntu by disabling Legacy+UEFI setting in BIOS and booting Ubuntu from the USB drive I installed it on. Is there any way I can use the current Ubuntu installation? I am very new to Linux and could use a bit of guidance. I have been wanting to ease into Linux but need to keep Win10. Any ideas?

G'day @George H. and welcome to linux.org :)

Can you give us the brand name and model number of your computer, or the specs if you have them?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

MSI x470 Gaming Pro, AMD 1700x, GTX 970, 16gig Corsair 3000 mem. Have Win10 1809 on it now. Been wanting to learn Linux (it IS the future methinks) and saw I could be able to have my cake and eat it too....not. When it installs and asks for reboot and removal of install medium in order to do so, it just boots straight to windows 10. No Grubby menu, just same post and Windows boot. Am I missing a step covered in all the posts and TubeYou videos I watched on the subject?

(it IS the future methinks)

Thanks George, we thinks so too :)

I have to head off for my evening in Australia (we are a global village), so if someone else comes along in the meantime, go with their ideas.

Make sure you have a contingency/recovery plan in place for your Windozer and personal data (fail to plan, plan to fail) in case anything heads south for the winter.

Hopefully we have your back.

I'll swing by tomorrow

Cheers

Wizard

Maybe it is just my impatience, (wow...at my age?) but there doesn't seem to be "peeps" (the kids still say that now don't they?) willing to chat about it except you. I will go watch my latest episode of Matlock or Andy Griffith and check back later.

You just have to be patient George. In case you're unaware, most of us on here are Linux enthusiasts, happy to share our knowledge and help someone out. Sometimes the people that are on don't know the answer and sometimes the people who know the answer aren't on. I would have talked with you sooner but I was asleep. So you just have to wait sometimes for the right person to log on.

So I have a Dell gaming laptop that I dual boot with Windows 10. I don't know what the version number is because I never boot to Windows :). But one of the very nice things about Linux is that you can install and reinstall to your heart's content. Heck, Wizard loves doing it so much, he has 90 installations on, I believe, 2 computers. So I'm going to say you have to reinstall. Before doing it you need to change your UEFI settings. First disable Secure Boot. Windows should still boot with this change but Linux doesn't need it, except for a few distros. Second, make sure that UEFI (boot settings or something like that) is set to the original setting. For my laptop it's either UEFI or Legacy. Ubuntu will boot just fine using UEFI. Windows will only boot if it's UEFI, so it's best to make sure both are installed using the same setting. You can't boot to one if it was installed using the other setting. Because of this you most likely won't be able to get your Ubuntu install to work without reinstalling.

During the installation process there's a step where it asks you where you want to install Ubuntu. This page is where you told it to go into the freespace. Be sure to change this to Manual, so you don't lose your Windows installation and recovery files. On this same page but a little lower down it has a line for Boot Loader location. This needs to be /dev/SDA for a single hard drive computer to dual boot.

BTW, I just created another thread on how to retain your settings and apps for all your installs and reinstalls. You may want to give it a look before you start your reinstall. https://www.linux.org/threads/how-t...distro-like-the-old-complete-with-apps.23139/

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. I was doing some reading and noticed a new BIOS was available for my motherboard and I updated it and got the Grubby Menu to work. Now, I am going to try to get it to work again by rebooting. I just need to figure out how to adjust screen size and pick monitor's numbers and such. Thank you very much!

Update: With the latest BIOS, the Grub menu now works. I can now Dual Boot and can now start my exodus from computing captivity! I was a loyal Windows user since it began, but after this fiasco with Windows 10, I look forward to learning Linux. Thanks to all!

Grubby Menu

Not sure if that is tongue in cheek or you make up nicknames like I do with the Windozer, because it runs like a bulldozer over everything including your rights and privacy :D

But it's a Grub Menu. :) acronym for GRand Universal Bootloader.

(Wizard halts midstream, to read George's latest)

George, does the Grub Menu feature say 3 entries, roughly
  • Ubuntu
  • Advanced Options (for Ubuntu) and
  • Windows Boot Manager
??

Wiz

I need to write the choices down....I only care about the first (Ubuntu) and the last (Windows). Main thing....IT WORKS! Yay! Wootages! Happy Dance!

Members online

Latest posts