UBUNTU 16 LTS Crashes

collectordave

Reaction score
Credits
Installed UBUNTU 16LTS 32bit On small notebook (ADVENT)

Works ok starts at least. As soon as I click on files it crashes? Total black screen and no activity.

Also tried same after installing 18.04LTS and the same thing happens.

Ran all hard disk checks and memory checks and all come back OK.

Any ideas as my choices are now to buy a MAC instead.

What particular model of Advent?

How much RAM have you got? How much RAM can it take?

Without knowing the answer to these questions you might be better with something lighter - with lesser system requirements.

Small ram small ssd hard drive.

Just tried again to boot it says block 4 chksum invalid??

Well without knowing some system specs you know.

model number
what processor
how much memory
graphics adapter

All of this helps to determine why you are experiencing difficulties.

You may need to go with a lighter weight Linux Distro less resource demanding than Ubuntu 16.04 which requires a powerful graphics adapter.

I have just got 16.04 working on another laptop and the block 4 error does not appear at all it just boots up and works.

Maybe a hardware problem with the advent?

Just in case not can you tell me which is the best lightweight version of linux?

Thanks

CD

Of course, the two systems will be different and will behave differently.

As I often say the "best" is the one YOU like and which suits YOUR computer. It is not the one I say is best. There are many fans of particular distros and they will try to push their preference.

Look here: https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

The first one mentioned, Peppermint, gets support here: https://linuxforums.org.uk/
The second one mentioned, Lubuntu, is dropping support for 32 bit in favour of 64 bit. So you might go for 16.04 LTS

snip
As I often say the "best" is the one YOU like and which suits YOUR computer. It is not the one I say is best. There are many fans of particular distros and they will try to push their preference.

Look here: https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

The first one mentioned, Peppermint, gets support here: https://linuxforums.org.uk/
The second one mentioned, Lubuntu, is dropping support for 32 bit in favour of 64 bit. So you might go for 16.04 LTS
I use Peppermint 8 (64 bit) and Lubuntu 18.04 LTS (64 bit) and both install and work well OOTB on my 8 year old and 9 year old computers discarded by others.

Just tried again to boot it says block 4 chksum invalid??

G'day Dave and welcome to linux.org :), Australia online here.

Is that the exact error, above, if not give us exact wording if you can?

Just to clarify what arochester was saying here

So you might go for 16.04 LTS

That is not the one you have already tried. Lubuntu and Ubuntu are related but use different Desktop Environments (DEs).

The "look and feel" with each is different, and the memory resources used range from light to heavy.

Lubuntu uses the LXDE DE. It is light.

You can read about DEs here

https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

What the folks above is suggesting is to try a LInux Distribution (distro) with a lighter DE for your rig.

The Advent had models like:

• Advent Modena
  • Advent Sienna 510
  • Advent Sienna 700
  • other
... so if you can give us a model name and number, even from a sticker on the unit, that would help.

Cheers and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I will try LUBUNTU on the Advent.

It is an Advent Milano W7
Intel Atom N270
1GB ram
160GB hard drive

I only need a basic installation as I want to use it to test some programming I am doing. I do like UBUNTU as it the only one that installs and works on my new computer.

Cool, Ta (pron. "tar", Aussie for thank you) for that info. :)

I have to scoot for my Saturday evening but I will be back on deck tomorrow.

I do like UBUNTU...

As do many of us :p, but on 1GB RAM, it would be as slow as a wet week.

Lubuntu is close enough that you should have little difficulty, and we can look at other options with you, such as Linux Lite, MX-17 or (new) MX-18, and JUST enough options to confuse you (only joking).

Cheers for now.

Chris

New computer for christmas lenovo ideapad 320. UBUNTU 18 installed but crashes. Loaded UBUNTU 16 and it works like a charm, my programme on and it works better than windows.

One of my users has suggested Linux mint 32 bit for the ADVENT so will be trying that later. Hopefully all works then I can celebrate no more windows 10 on any computer I own hurrah!

Thanks to all for the help and a happy new year.

Linux mint 32 bit for the ADVENT

If you go the "Mintie", try the one with the Xfce desktop, I call it the little mouse. It is lightest on memory resources but still well-featured. :)

BIG like on the above and you know where to find us if you need us.

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Just found out that the computer I have running UBUNTU 16.04 is a 64 bit so trying to install latest ubuntu 18.04.1LTS 64 bit on this machine and get very similar problems. The install works all the way through to the restart now window I remove the USB and click restart now and it tells me I need to run a manual fsck? then goes to the {intramfs} prompt and nothing working at all.

This is a brand new Lenovo ideapad 320 with an AMD series 9 processor lots of memory and harddrive space?

So 16.04 32 bit ran very well but need 64 bit install I will try anything. Please help.

G'day Dave

It's been a little while since I installed a 'buntu, but when you pressed to restart now, does it come up with a message saying "remove medium then press Enter"?

If it DOES, (and these are the ones, distros, I like) then just wait a moment, remove the stick and press ... enter :)

If it DOES NOT, then wait until the screen turns to black or signals restarting, and then remove the stick before you get to your splash screen or log of your computer starting up.

The above two options are if you wish to try a reinstall.

Alternative is:

Reboot from your USB stick and choose Try Ubuntu without installing.

When you get to the desktop, open Terminal with Ctrl-Alt-t

I'll dash off and check something and then be back

Wiz

Once you have Terminal open, type in and enter

Code:
sudo fdisk -l

... that's a lowercase L

The output displayed will tell you which is your Linux root partition you have just installed to. Look for Type Linux, and Size - the gigabytes size you assigned.

It might be eg /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda3 - whatever.

Say it is /dev/sda1

Type in and enter

Code:
sudo fsck /dev/sda1

just substitute the number you have established.

When prompted by the program, press y for yes to continue.

When completed, reboot your computer, removing the stick and see how you go.

Wiz

Checking on the lenovo with the AMD 9 and it says supports ubuntu i386 64bit looked for that but cannot find the iso?

Which one do I need?

I got on to the Lenovo support site and that passed me on to another site where the ideapad was listed as supporting i386 64bit. I admit to being a little confused as I thought i386 would mean 32bit?

The question remains is there a 64bit version of LINUX that the Lenovo Ideapad320 15AST will actually install and run?

Members online

Latest posts