Ubuntu 16.04 LTS upgrading or installing new verion of Linux

semisweet49

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I have Linux 16.04 Lts on my machine and it usedU to try to upgrade browsers and other stuff, but said my boot folder and some other folders were to full. Now it won't let me try to upgrade manually threw the upgrade icon in the control panel. I tried emptying the folders it said but couldn't get it to work. Then I tried downloading Ubuntu- 18.04.2 and Elementaryos-5.0-stable distros but after I download the files it won't let me install them. My computer has plenty good enough hardware to run both of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Now THIS sounds interesting, albeit frustrating for you :)

G'day @semisweet49 and welcome to linux.org.

I am from DownUnder (Australia) so our timezones may slow things down a little, but there are others here, too, whom will be glad to help, if they can.

Let's get our teeth into this :D

Tell us some more, but first -

I tried emptying the folders it said but couldn't get it to work.

1. Were you able to delete folders and files, and if so, did you then empty the Trash? Only if the Trash is emptied can you fully recover some space.

If that does not assist

2. If you can access Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t), see if you can copy and paste the output for us of the following command

Code:
inxi -Fxz

... that will give us a very broad idea of your computer's capabilities and configuration.
Then I tried downloading Ubuntu- 18.04.2 and Elementaryos-5.0-stable distros but after I download the files it won't let me install them.

3. Can you capture the content of any errors displayed, exactly, and let us know?

I have Linux 16.04 Lts on my machine

... my highlighting. So that will be Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and it is likely the GNOME aka Desktop DE (Desktop Environment), with a launcher at the left, is that so?

4. How are you communicating with us, through the Ubuntu (Firefox) browser, or other, or through Windows on the same machine, and if so, which version (7, 8, 10)?

That will do for starters, and we'll see where we go from there :cool:

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts