Two separate drives, 1 linux second drive, 1st drive Windows 10

4aDummy

Reaction score
Credits
So I have had Windows 10 running on my 1st Dirve (m.2 4.0 1TB) and recently wanted to try my hand at Linux. I installed Fedora as an ISO on a thumb drive w Rufus and then fixed the boot order to run the usb stick first. Managed to figure out how to install on my second dr (m.2 3.0 500GB). Now that the install is done and I set the boot order to run Fedora it gets to a black screen with the blinking cursor in upper left hand corner and nothing from there. Confused and brand new to linux. Any ideas?

From your description it sounds like grub (the bootloader) may not have been installed or failed.

During your installation of Fedora did you install the bootloader to the MBR (master boot record) OR do you remember seeing the installer install grub?

When your pc boots to the black screen with the flashing cursor try holding down CTRL + ALT + F1 or F2 and see if you get a command-line prompt.

At the prompt type:
su and press Enter
Than type in your root password and press Enter.

Than type:
fdisk -l That's a small letter L.

Your partitions for Windows and Fedora should show in the output. Do they?

Is your pc a UEFI machine OR BIOS?

From your description it sounds like grub (the bootloader) may not have been installed or failed.

During your installation of Fedora did you install the bootloader to the MBR (master boot record) OR do you remember seeing the installer install grub?

When your pc boots to the black screen with the flashing cursor try holding down CTRL + ALT + F1 or F2 and see if you get a command-line prompt.

At the prompt type:
su and press Enter
Than type in your root password and press Enter.

Than type:
fdisk -l That's a small letter L.

Your partitions for Windows and Fedora should show in the output. Do they?

Is your pc a UEFI machine OR BIOS?

I got the command line, put in user n pw, su, nothing w fdisk - l but... When I boot to Linux, it gives me a screen w 3 or 4 options. Tried them all. One option is windows boot Mgr where it shows WIN 10 or Debian. I choose Debian and I get the curse. It's a Uefi bios.

Ok so you have Debian and Fedora installed on the same drive?

In order to help you fix/re-install Grub I need to have a look at those partitions and the device's they are on.

When you can, download gparted Live and run it on your system.

Once gparted is up and running it will show you all of the partition for what ever device is selected in the upper right hand corner. To switch to another drive click on the box in the upper right hand corner to show those partitions.

Please post screenshots/pictures of those partitions in gparted .

Tried to run GPart kept getting a screen pixelated w nothing else. Got some photos. Im only running (trying to run) Debian.

Attachments

• IMG_20210721_114458.jpg
    IMG_20210721_114458.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 367
  • IMG_20210721_120747.jpg
    IMG_20210721_120747.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 357
Tried to run GPart kept getting a screen pixelated w nothing else. Got some photos. Im only running (trying to run) Debian.
That first screenshot looks like screen tearing to me so that might be a graphics issue.

Ok, boot up your machine once more until you get the black screen with the white cursor.
Hold down CTRL + Alt + F1 or F2 again.

When you get a command-line prompt type:
sudo fdisk -l
-Than type in your password and hit Enter.

Post what the command-line returns, please.

That first screenshot looks like screen tearing to me so that might be a graphics issue.

Ok, boot up your machine once more until you get the black screen with the white cursor.
Hold down CTRL + Alt + F1 or F2 again.

When you get a command-line prompt type:
sudo fdisk -l
-Than type in your password and hit Enter.

Post what the command-line returns, please.
This PC has a 1TB drive running windows 10 pro w a Radeon RX 580 and has no graphics issues. It has a second drive w Debian installed. I decided to format the drive and start over thinking well , maybe the ISO download was corrupt in some way (not likely). I reformatted my USB and set it up as MBR and the file system fat32 or ex-fat and installed again. Now I get to a window that is a command line asking me for username and pword. I login in and thats it. Im in the command line, no Debian OS. To complicate things further my phone (Oneplus 8t) has decided it wants to act funny and not allow file, pictures to transfer or copy to my PC.

I will understand if you are frustrated w this Noob here.

This PC has a 1TB drive running windows 10 pro w a Radeon RX 580 and has no graphics issues. It has a second drive w Debian installed. I decided to format the drive and start over thinking well , maybe the ISO download was corrupt in some way (not likely). I reformatted my USB and set it up as MBR and the file system fat32 or ex-fat and installed again. Now I get to a window that is a command line asking me for username and pword. I login in and thats it. Im in the command line, no Debian OS. To complicate things further my phone (Oneplus 8t) has decided it wants to act funny and not allow file, pictures to transfer or copy to my PC.

I will understand if you are frustrated w this Noob here.

Attachments

• IMG_20210721_115239.jpg
    IMG_20210721_115239.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 382
  • IMG_20210721_120836.jpg
    IMG_20210721_120836.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 349
  • IMG_20210721_120836__01.jpg
    IMG_20210721_120836__01.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_20210721_150213.jpg
    IMG_20210721_150213.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 329
Just built a PC recently. Installed Win10 on the M.2 NvME PCI-e. When installing Linux Mint it did not want to use the M.2 so I just unplugged it, installed Mint on an SSD. Reinstalled the M.2 set the boot order to the SSD in BIOS. I get a screen with 4 options. Mint, Mint command prompt, Windows bootloader or UEFI. If I set the BIOS to boot to the M.2 I do not get Grub.

Another note, I just upgraded the CPU from AMD 3000g, to AMD Ryzen 3600. Mint had no issues and System Info shows the CPU. Windows on the other hand reset all my settings like Fast shutdown, Power functions...etc. SO Win says hey you changed something so will we, Linux was like meh..

With Debian in command-line only mode please run this command so I can help you.

sudo fdisk -l

Im trying your download link. That might be the culprit. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 as well, on a B550 Mobo. Got my chip, 2 X8 gb of 3600 and the board for for $330 just b4 the pandemic. Hehehe.

Question ; If I use Rufus to put the ISO on the USB disk do I use ISO or DD?

OK. Your link worked. My other ISO was ???. Got it installed ok. Now I cant figure out how to connect to wifi. LOL. Noob all the way.

OK. Your link worked. My other ISO was ???. Got it installed ok. Now I cant figure out how to connect to wifi. LOL. Noob all the way.
Congrats on your installation.

Can you take a screenshot of your desktop and post it?

That way I'll be able to see your desktop environment and help you connect to wifi.

I almost wasnt going to come mention this here but, hey, sometimes you learn things the hard way. I used Hasleo EasyUefi to have a look at all my drives while in win 10. My bios boot options were showing me 2 debian drives, 1 windows boot manager Rocket Q (my 1TB 4.0 :cool: ) and 1 Ubuntu Rocket Q while I only had 2 bootable drives. I looked at my Windows Rocket Q and saw 3 very small partitions next to the one larger one taking up the rest of the space. One of the partitions was red and said Fat32. I assumed the red Partition was the bat on with all the confused boot files so I deleted it. You can start laughing now. I sure did. It left me with no bootable drive what so ever in my Bios. What would you do? Sharp wit welcome.

Deleting partitions is not a good practice unless you know what partition your working with.

Maybe our Moderator @KGIII will be able to help you.

Yup. Ya learn the hard way sometimes. I have my important files backed up so Im not too worried. Im mostly concerned w making sure I can get windows activated on a new install. Im doing an image backup of the 1TB drive now. Luckily i had a USB w win 10 installer. Ran it on the spare drive and Im up and running. Im not sure if I can restore the image from backup and have all my custom, comfy settings restored as well. I was also able to copy a few ISOs ( linux ) and a few utilities to a thumb drive.

Yup. Ya learn the hard way sometimes. I have my important files backed up so Im not too worried. Im mostly concerned w making sure I can get windows activated on a new install. Im doing an image backup of the 1TB drive now. Luckily i had a USB w win 10 installer. Ran it on the spare drive and Im up and running. Im not sure if I can restore the image from backup and have all my custom, comfy settings restored as well. I was also able to copy a few ISOs ( linux ) and a few utilities to a thumb drive.
You got it-:)
Read my signature line.

I haven't ran Windows in 12 years or more so I'm not sure if you'll have all your custom settings or not.

Members online

Latest posts