Two Hard Drives

Wike1970

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Everybody

I would like to ask for some help. I have a desktop PC which I plan on change the OS from Windows 10 to Linux. The first problem sloved itself. I tested both ElementaryOS and Linux Mint. Both of these OS finds my USB Wi-Fi adaptor without any problem. If remember correct both them is base on Debian. But my desktop PC has a very odd setup. This because it has two Hard drives. One is a Western Digital 500Gb and the second one is Samsung 250Gb. They hooked up like WD is master and the Samsung is a slave. I think they hooked with on the same cable. But I am not sure about that. Because I have DVD burner hooked up to, which if I remember correct is a IDE. So it can be the DVD burner and WD are hooked up together on IDE channel 1 while the Samsung is hooked up to IDE channel 2. Because My motherboard which is ASUS KPL....775 socket I think it is called has Two IDE channels. Now I have told a little about my desktop PC to my questions. Is there anyway to get Linux Mint which is the System I am thnking of using to format both Hard drives? And how does one do so? And which one of ElementaryOS or Linux Mint should one use? As far as I know both is base upon Debian. But both uses different windows manager. And sadly I like them both. But USB sticks I have can't recive the lastest version of both. Because the two USB sticks I have is about 2Gb. So one of these USB sticks has ElementaryOS 0.5 if I remember correct. And the other one has Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon on it. Both version if I remember correct is the 64-bit versions of them. So I was thinking that if I install like Linux Mint 20 it will update itself to Linux Mint 20.1 which is the newest version or should download it and use a bigger USB memory stick I have which is 4Gb? I am not sure about this. But I was thinking of using Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon on it. But I am not sure about the Hard drives since I have two of them and how Linux Mint 20 would see when it comes to that?

Yours
Christer Wickman

Last edited:

If you are just looking to see what each (Mint, Elementary) looks like before making a decision, just run each installer in Live mode. Decide, install. If you want to change your distro, that too is simple. Decide, install.

You can have as many distros installed on disk as you want. In general, and without a VM environment, you will only boot into one OS at a time.

Installing so that the two drives are fully recognized and incorporated into your installation is is a part of the install process. It's not necessarily obvious, but the way I do it - for certainty - is to select the manual/something else install option at the beginning of the process.

Once your are up and operational, make sure you routinely backup your data to removable media.

Members online