Trying to reinstall wine

Billtour

Reaction score
Credits
I installed WINE on my Linux lite and used it for one app. Then I decided to take an 80 gb hard drive I had and make it USB and install Windows 7 on it. Then I tried to uninstall WINE because I wouldn't need it. It turns out that some old games I found (CDs) don't run in 64 bit Windows 7. So, I tried reinstalling WINE. The only error I got was "E: eveusb: installed eveusb package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127" at the end of the install. Then it said that "Not all changes and updates succeeded." and there are several lines of details including "a package failed to install" and " 'Python': No such file or directory" and "Errors were encountered while processing: eveusb". At this point, how can I get a good install of WINE? Play on Linux is also still on my computer. Thanks for some help.

G'day Bill I can't answer your question, but I will move this to Linux Gaming because the Gamers will know.

Good Luck.

Chris

Wine is not the end-all and be-all of Linux gaming. How about taking a crack at bottles? It gives you the ability to create a virtual environment specically for the game in question. Its a tad more expensive than wine prefixes in terms of system resources but considering the games are so old that they aren't even 64-bit, I would say its not a concern.

By the way, did you know that you can also run non-steam games using proton? Ask and you shall receive!

you may want to give Playonlinux a try also. It's front end for wine. But allows you to install wine versions from old to the very newest. And that may be of help in getting those old games going. You did not say which Distro your using but most have Playonlinux in their repositories. Good Luck and enjoy!

If you are wanting to game on Linux Lutris is the more logical choice to go with.

First remove your old Wine
Code:
sudo apt remove --purge wine

To install Wine on Linux Lite which is based on Ubuntu
If your system is 64 bit, enable 32 bit architecture
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
Download and add the repository key:
Code:
sudo mkdir -pm755 /etc/apt/keyrings
Code:
sudo wget -O /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
Code:
sudo wget -NP /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/jammy/winehq-jammy.sources
Update the package information:
Code:
sudo apt update
Stable branch
Code:
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
After installation run
Code:
winecfg
this will install Wine Mono
If you need Wine Gecko run
Code:
wine iexplore

Last edited by a moderator:
I call that 'urination'.

I could not resist.
Well, you certainly added some cheese to that wine!

Lord Boltar has taken care of him, we're all good here.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts