trying to install dsl on old rig

D

davens1227

i got a free computer and it has a distro of ark linux h2o that is so old that it is no use to me. i was going to install dsl from a disk but cant figure it out. i tried to boot from the cd rom but i dont know how to do that on a linux system. i tried to load from the cd and hundreds of widows popped up. i'd like to wipe the hard drive and start over but also dont know how to do that. never used linux before but i like the mission and freedom of open source software.

i was going to install dsl from a disk but cant figure it out
This is not the usual way to use DSL. It is normally run from a LiveCD and it creates a little bit on the Hard Drive to remember extra stuff. It can be installed on the Hard Drive, but it is not easy. See http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/installing_to_the_hard_disk.html

i tried to boot from the cd rom but i dont know how to do that on a linux system.
Nothing to do with Linux. You need to ensure that the BIOS or Boot Order will boot from the CD-Rom first, before the Hard Drive.

There are other lightweight distros that have a more orthodox install like Slitaz Linux or Antix.

How much RAM have you got? What are the basic specs of your computer?

not sure on specs. i think 64 mb ram but have had alot of people say that it probably has 256mb. i think it has a 1.3 ghz amd processor. i tried to go into set-up and it just flashed a message saying "detecting harddrive". really id like to know the command prompt to wipe the hard drive and start fresh with something that makes more sense. this old syster really confuses me and i have had a hard time finding support just to install the new os.
thank you for any advice you can give me.

My calculator has more ram. :) But seriously, look into Arch. We would be happy to help you install it. But like arochester said, try to get some more ram. I know that the older ram is MORE expensive then the newer ram in many circumstances, but if you know a guy....

I'm on a budget so i decided to scrap this project for now and buy a raspberry pi so that i can learn more about linux. Anyways thanks for your help guys

Members online

Latest posts