Trying to install all 3 distro's: Ubuntu 18.04.3, Mint 19.3, and Xubuntu 18.04, Can anyone help with the partitioning?

chrbook

Reaction score
Credits
Trying to install all 3 distro's: Ubuntu 18.04.3, Mint 19.3, and Xubuntu 18.04, Can anyone help with the partitioning?

g'day @chrbook and welcome :)

yep, maybe tomorrow oz time

MBR or UEFI?

just the 3 linux or also windows?

why the double up on 'buntus?

cheers

wizard

btw specs of computer please

I have a "test" box on which I have Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Pop!_OS 19.10, Manjaro 18.1.5, and MX 19.1 installed.
I purposely formatted the disk as BIOS MBR as opposed to EFI GPT. The BIOS MBR partition scheme limits me to four Primary partitions but I created one of those Primary partitions as an "extended" partition. The extended partition can be divided into more smaller partitions. EFI GPT can have a LOT more partitions!
Which partitioning scheme you use 'may' be limited by your hardware or you may be able to choose either MBR or GPT. I think there may be additional benefits from using GPT other than just the number of partitions. I'm not sure on that as I don't use GPT. Probably @wizardfromoz could shed some more light on that :)
btw specs of computer please

This is what my partition scheme looks like on my test box.

P.S. I used a GParted Live disk to do the partitioning. Works very well indeed.

If you are a new Linux user than pick a Linux distro and let the installer do everything.

Once you learn about Linux and become more experienced than you should not have any problem with partitioning a hard drive.

GPT allows a very large number of "primary-like" partitions (126?) within the partition table on each GPT disk. If you have a decent UEFI motherboard and GPT partitioned disks with an ESP partition for the boot data - you have one awesome machine.

Staff online

Members online