Trying to diagnose an Elden Ring hard crash

Venator

Reaction score
Credits
I'm experiencing two types of hard crashes in elden ring, one where the pc looks like it rebooting (it doesn't, but the post code changes, fans slow down and speed up etc.). The other the GPU fans go to full speed and I have to long hold the power button to get it back. Seems to happen at random though I think it's slightly area dependent. Can happen after a few hours or a few minutes. Anyway, there are kernel errors when these crashes happen:

First crash: https://pastebin.com/qpTyAS7s

Shows up as a cpu hardware error, which is concerning, but never seen this outside of elden ring.

Second crash: https://pastebin.com/TRAUhTWy

Kernel has lot's of amdgpu errors.

Anyone one have any idea what this means? Should I be working on submitting a bug report for mesa (I believe I'm on the newest version) or is this not related to mesa?

The issue appears to be independent of both kernel version and proton version (tried on kernel 5.17 and 5.18 release candidates, as well as various proton versions).

Specs:

Ryzen 9 5900x, rx 6800xt, 64gb ram. Temperatures are all in the norm, and ram usage is also fairly low. I use Gentoo with swaywm, but when I have time I'll test to see if it also happens on Debian and maybe something xorg native. EDIT: crashes happen on debian with xfce as well.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

Seems to happen at random though I think it's slightly area dependent. Can happen after a few hours or a few minutes.
How frequent are your crashes/freezes other than random? I don't own game but I do have a RX 6700XT I could buy the game and try to play for a bit and then see what happens for me and hopefully still stay within the time to refund it.

Also you could try adding the following to you Steam launch option and see what the log files say when they the game crashes, maybe even add to an existing bug report.
RADV_DEBUG=hang PROTON_LOG=1
It's a different issue but I know they only do one issue per game to keep all the issues per game in one place.

Last edited:
I don't own a AMD and I don't know much about kernel but try to check those out.
I'll take a look, seems like the issues they are experiencing are similar, I noticed I can get it to crash less by lowering the fps cap to 90, might try even lower.
How frequent are your crashes/freezes other than random? I don't own game but I do have a RX 6700XT I could buy the game and try to play for a bit and then see what happens for me and hopefully still stay within the time to refund it.

Also you could try adding the following to you Steam launch option and see what the log files say when they the game crashes, maybe even add to an existing bug report.
RADV_DEBUG=hang PROTON_LOG=1
It's a different issue but I know they only do one issue per game to keep all the issues per game in one place.
I'll try the launch option tomorrow. The crashes depend on the area, in some areas I'd say the frequency was on average every 10 minutes, in general it was hard to get more than 30 minutes before a crash. I should have noted I'm using er-patcher for ultrawide and higher fps, it seems the combination of the two is causing issues. Lowering grass textures and reducing fps cap to 90 (from 144) got the crashes to hapen a lot less often, I'd say one every hour to 90 minutes now.

Also it may be worth a try to launching your games with Gamescope to see if your experience is any better.

Members online

Latest posts