Trying Out LMDE 4 Debbie

darry1966

Reaction score
Credits
Not half bad and seems so far to be behaving itself on my HP Pavillion dv6000. so starting to understand why some of you guys like Mint so much. Running with LXDE instead of Cinnamon.

Wiped Puppies off this machine and decided to try this out.

I might put it on this weekend, Daz, got some tests I want to run on it.

Been using it since v2 'Betsy' and have v3 'Cindy' on currently, always found it OK.

Ta for sharing and Avagudweegend

Chris

I've got LMDE on bare metal on two computers. One was just to see how well it ran on an old 32 bit laptop that I really should discard but keep it for testing 32 bit systems and the other is a desktop system. It's not bad and it makes a perfectly adequate desktop system, with great stability. Curiously, I had some issues getting AppImages to run, but I haven't dug into that at this time and only tried a couple.

However, the desktop system will be switched to ElementaryOS. That one gets switched out regularly. LMDE has been on it for a while, so this weekend it'll get swapped over.

Anyhow, it's a very workable desktop OS. It's feature-rich right out of the box, has everything from a firewall to backup system already installed, and has a Debian backup for rock-solid stability.

Well still running this with LXDE changed network manager to wicd-gtk and wiped off Lbreoffice and use abiword and gnumeric deleted cinnamon to reduce install size - to reduce footprint,

Only problem noticed was when I had network manager installed wireless firmware didn't always load and had to reboot. Not Mint's fault more like this HPdv6000 so hope change to wicd will solve this.

Members online

Latest posts