Trouble with linux mint cinnamon 64 bit installation

TML

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I installed linux mint on one of my computers that originally ran windows 10. I went into the BIOS and enabled legacy mode, used the manager tool in windows to shrink my C drive to share with linux, created a bootable flash drive, and booted into linux mint. Once there, I installed it on my computer and it's working great. I had to use the "something else" option as far as the installation goes because I was never given the option to install next to windows, so I had to create the partitions for the installation from the free space created when I shrank the hard drive.

I tried to install again on my other laptop that runs windows 7. I also set it up so that it could boot from the flash drive, booted into linux mint and attempted to run the installation. It gave me the option to install next to windows so I took it. I ran into a problem when it asked me if it could unmount the isodev. I told it to do so and it went on. But it got stuck forever trying to detect filesystems. I canceled it and tried again, still the same so I canceled again. I decided to try to install like I did for my windows 10 laptop. I booted into windows and shrank the hard drive. But when I tried to boot back into linux, the laptop no longer recognized the flash drive as a boot device. It tries to boot from it but is never able to. What have I overlooked?

here is the link I used it gives you step by step. ==LINK==

What have I overlooked?

How long is a piece of string?

Aussies tend to joke a lot, if you spent all day at the bottom of the world standing on your head, you would too.

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

Welcome to linux.org @TML :)

Nice link, Tobey ;)

TML, it's good that you have one Linux up and running, I am curious about the way it was installed, but that is handy.

I'm going to call Paragraph 1 "Rig 1" and Paragraph 2 "Rig 2".

This is just a holding Post, as I have a 600 km round trip to make tomorrow, back Thursday my time, likely Wednesday yours.

Very briefly though, if by

when it asked me if it could unmount the isodev

... you mean that the install noted that there were drives mounted and did you want it to unmount them ... try it with "No".

Back as soon as

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

How long is a piece of string?

Aussies tend to joke a lot, if you spent all day at the bottom of the world standing on your head, you would too.

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

Welcome to linux.org @TML :)

Nice link, Tobey ;)

TML, it's good that you have one Linux up and running, I am curious about the way it was installed, but that is handy.

This is just a holding Post, as I have a 600 km round trip to make tomorrow, back Thursday my time, likely Wednesday yours.

Very briefly though, if by

... you mean that the install noted that there were drives mounted and did you want it to unmount them ... try it with "No".

Back as soon as

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks Chris, I said "no" the first time I tried installing and it kept coming back to the question again. So I switched to saying "yes" a couple of tries.

Right now, I'm no longer able to boot into Linux mint using the USB drive and Linux Mint doesn't come up as an option when I reboot and press the F9 key, I can boot into windows without a problem. There aren't any problems accessing the flash drive from windows, so I think the drive and the flash stick are OK.

If I could boot from the flash drive into Linux mint, I could try the install over again and manually partition the drives instead of taking the option to install side-by-side.

Thanks for posting that. I used YUMMI to create my bootable flash drive and it worked fine until after I tried installing mint using the "install alongside" option. I quit out of the installation a couple of times because it got hung up. I thought I would just go the route of partitioning the drives in Linux manually but, when I exited linux to go back to windows to shrink the drives on my laptop, I was never able to boot back into linux mint from the flash drive again. It appears that there's nothing wrong with the drive itself or the flash stick. And it appears that my laptop is trying to boot into the flash drive but isn't able to and just keeps trying over and over again.

did you go back into BIOS Mode and fix the enable?
20190118_191155_Burst01.jpg
20190118_191155_Burst01.jpg 20190118_191155_Burst01.jpg

G'day @TML :)

Just repeating from my #3 Post, about your OP (Original Post, #1 - OP can also mean Original Poster, which is you)

At the risk of getting us confused, I should lay out a couple of things here, and I know that Mint on Rig 1 is working, and Rig 2 is the problem child. :D

RIG 1

... you should have been able to install Mint without changing to Legacy, Windows accepts Mint on Windows 10. Doesn't matter.

But (Wizard's but is never far behind him)

Because you installed under Legacy Mode

I had to use the "something else" option as far as the installation goes because I was never given the option to install next to windows, so I had to create the partitions for the installation from the free space created when I shrank the hard drive.

... the installer, called Ubiquity for Ubuntu (who authored it) Linux Mint and a number of other Linux, could not detect Windows 10 as an OS (operating system), because Win 10 is UEFI.

Again, that does not matter for now, you will likely have some eccentricities in booting with the combination, but we can deal with them in a Thread devoted to Rig 1 if that is your need. Let's focus on Rig 2. :)

RIG 2

Working on Rig 2 means using a little bit of Rig 1 ... surprised ? :rolleyes:

We'll do a little work with the GNOME Partition Editor, aka GParted. It's already on your install "Live" stick, but for God knows what reason they tend to take it off on the way out of the install.

So hook your USB stick into Rig 1 and wait until it is recognised, then go to Start and start to type in

gparted

If it is already there, that's cool, if not open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) type in and enter

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install gparted

Once GParted is there, fire it up from your Start Menu. It will be windowed, don't maximise it.

From Start Menu, type in

screenshot

GNOME screenshot will show and fire it up too.

In GParted, first screen shows you a drive, possibly /dev/sda, header will say.

Top right corner is a choice to click down and it will show you the USB drive, perhaps /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc. Click on that.

In Screenshot, choose Active or current window, set the timer to 5 or 10 seconds to think about it, and choose whether to show the mouse pointer, than take screenshot.

Save the screenshot to default, likely Pictures in your Home folder.

Do this process with any of the drives that GParted will show, and upload the resultant screenshots as attachments to your next Post.

Then we can take a look at what's what and who's who, as my dear late mama used to say.

Cheers

Chris

G'day @TML :)

Just repeating from my #3 Post, about your OP (Original Post, #1 - OP can also mean Original Poster, which is you)

At the risk of getting us confused, I should lay out a couple of things here, and I know that Mint on Rig 1 is working, and Rig 2 is the problem child. :D

RIG 1

... you should have been able to install Mint without changing to Legacy, Windows accepts Mint on Windows 10. Doesn't matter.

But (Wizard's but is never far behind him)

Because you installed under Legacy Mode

... the installer, called Ubiquity for Ubuntu (who authored it) Linux Mint and a number of other Linux, could not detect Windows 10 as an OS (operating system), because Win 10 is UEFI.

Again, that does not matter for now, you will likely have some eccentricities in booting with the combination, but we can deal with them in a Thread devoted to Rig 1 if that is your need. Let's focus on Rig 2. :)

RIG 2

Working on Rig 2 means using a little bit of Rig 1 ... surprised ? :rolleyes:

We'll do a little work with the GNOME Partition Editor, aka GParted. It's already on your install "Live" stick, but for God knows what reason they tend to take it off on the way out of the install.

So hook your USB stick into Rig 1 and wait until it is recognised, then go to Start and start to type in

gparted

If it is already there, that's cool, if not open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) type in and enter

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install gparted

Once GParted is there, fire it up from your Start Menu. It will be windowed, don't maximise it.

From Start Menu, type in

screenshot

GNOME screenshot will show and fire it up too.

In GParted, first screen shows you a drive, possibly /dev/sda, header will say.

Top right corner is a choice to click down and it will show you the USB drive, perhaps /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc. Click on that.

In Screenshot, choose Active or current window, set the timer to 5 or 10 seconds to think about it, and choose whether to show the mouse pointer, than take screenshot.

Save the screenshot to default, likely Pictures in your Home folder.

Do this process with any of the drives that GParted will show, and upload the resultant screenshots as attachments to your next Post.

Then we can take a look at what's what and who's who, as my dear late mama used to say.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Here the screenshots are attached.

Attachments

• devSDA.png
    devSDA.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 627
  • flashDriveShot.png
    flashDriveShot.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 625
@TML , ta (pron. "tar", Aussie for thanks) for those shots, that is great ! Lots of good news there. :)

I am going to print the shots larger and embed them here, for easier viewing, and then if I get run over by a Mack truck, other helpers can refer to eg Screenshot 1, Post #10 or similar.

75MDc7Y.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - TML'S /DEV/SDA PARTITIONING

zjKjZSt.png

SCREENSHOT 2 - TML'S FLASH DRIVE PARTITIONING

We'll examine these more in the next Post.

Wizard

I installed linux mint on one of my computers that originally ran windows 10.

@TML - Mate, what's on /dev/sda3 on Rig 1 at the moment, is it still Windows 10 or did you put Windows 7 on that as well?

I have to nick off and put together a summary plan for a Member who has a 3-pager, and has my priority, but I want to stick with this if you have the patience and time.

Questions. I note the 64GB usb stick.

1. Do you have any more sticks, only need to be 4GB or so?

2, Do you have 2 USB ports free on each of Rig 1 and Rig 2, if necessary?

3. Is Rig 1 a desktop or a laptop?

Cheers

Wizard

Staff online