Trouble Installing Previous Version of Visual Studio

DannyT

Reaction score
Credits
So, I recently decided to try to get my fancy RGB motherboard displaying something other than this default peach color that it has out of the box, and probably change the colors of the fans on my case. I could just turn the lights out, but where's the fun in that?

I mention this because it's here I encountered a problem, because the RGB software doesn't support Linux. Fortunately, someone has a solution on GitHub. It says that I need a copy of Visual Studio 2012, because the project files were built on VS 2012, update 5. I was able to download both installation methods for this version without issue, but I encounter a problem when attempting either method. The executable installer says that it requires .net to be installed for the installation to actually go through. This perplexes me slightly, because I went through the trouble of installing .net already, due to needing it for various other tasks. So, I'm not sure why it says that, but it leaves me with one more option, the .iso file.

When I attempt to mount the iso file in the terminal using the mount command, I get the following error:

mount: /media/usb: special device mu_visual_studio_2012_update_5_x86.iso does not exist.

I've searched stack overflow, and done some googling, but I can't seem to figure out why it doesn't want to mount the iso. I kept the name of the iso the same, and I entered the name of the iso by using tab in the terminal, so I know it's not a spelling error.

This is a mostly fresh installation of Manjaro, so I'm not sure if I need any additional software, or if there's an app for mounting iso files. Either way, I'm a bit stumped at the moment. If anyone here has a solution, I'm all ears. Apologies in advance if there isn't enough information - I'm new to Linux.

G'day @DannyT and a belated welcome to linux.org :)

VS being a Windozer app, I expect it might run on a combination of WINE and PlayOnLinux.

I know nothing about VS, and little about WINE and PlayOnLinux, but I am a dab hand at Googling.

linux visual studio 2012

has some results, you may have already checked them, but

linux visual studio 2012 wine

... looks more fruitful

Depending on your version and desktop environment of Manjaro, you may well have Wine and its playmate in your repositories or even installed.

HTH and let us know how you go.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Since you are running Manjaro you can use AUR. Have a look at openrgb-git. Here's the main gitlab project page and here's the wiki of the project. I think using this will save you a lot of time ;)

Last edited:
Since you are running Manjaro you can use AUR. Have a look at openrgb-git. Here's the main gitlab project page and here's the wiki of the project. I think using this will save you a lot of time ;)

Yeah, OpenRGB was much less of a pain. I hear the Gigabyte software is finnicky even on Windows, so this solution works for me and detects all of my devices.

I had a bit of a problem with the lights on my case, only to realize that the manufacturer just has presets controlled by a button on the case. Still having trouble with getting it to detect my CPU cooler, but I think that has more to do with me probably plugging it into the wrong port on the motherboard, rather than an OpenRGB problem.

But, thanks for telling me about OpenRGB - works pretty well out of the box.

Members online