Transfer Pics from Iphone to Linux PC

Why not just use a usb to sub-mini usb and connect directly to the computer via a wire / cable which is what I do and eliminate the Network Protocol BS.

Direct cable and OTG cable both have troubles. iPhones are not friendly and do not like to talk to anything not made by Apple. There may be something that works, but it's not a simple feat, it seems.

We use an iphone app called Simple Transfer
It's hard to leave the apps you're used to, but that might be the best way to go (or only way to go).
Here's one way. (2019-wireless) This uses SSH on Linux side and FE File Explorer on iOS side.
Another way. (2017-wired) This uses program called iFuse, available in Synaptic.
Another way. (2018-wireless) This uses program called AirDroid on iOS. (Yes, for iOS.)

Maybe one of these will give you and idea, or a solution. Digging deep on Google might offer more.

Cheers

iPhones are not friendly and do not like to talk to anything not made by Apple.
I guess that's why the few iPhone users I know send pictures / videos to their email accounts and then download their pictures / videos from their email accounts.

I'm glad I have an Android just connect via a usb cable and copy and paste the pictures / videos / files / folders or whatever else I want to save to my computer.

Again another reason Linux and the Linux Kernel is awesome. ;)

Hello guys,

I would say check if ifuse is installed, it provides library libmobiledevice that makes it possible, normally this is included in newest systems.
If not present install it this way :

Code:
sudo apt install ifuse

Then comes cherry on the top of the pie : gThumb, a fast photo manager which allow you first to see your photos into your iPhone folders and then easily manage to transfer by copying or even moving them from iPhone to linux.
It also creates catalog to help you to find photos by date (year, month, day), simply click on the first folder which contains photos and or subfolders with photos you've just finished to transfer and then click on "Organize"

To do so, install gThumb and give it a try.

Code:
sudo apt install gthumb

After all of this if you don't like.
Code:
sudo apt remove ifuse
Code:
sudo apt remove gthumb
Code:
sudo apt autoremove --purge
Code:
sudo apt update

I just done with iPhone 6s and wanted to share my experience.
Tried with Shotwell but was a bit tricky and very slow.

Wow this topic is old and someone replied to it yesterday. Don't old topics get locked? The easiest way to transfer pictures from your iPhone to your desktop is by logging into iCloud and downloading them from there.

I do this from iphone to linux pc....Every Day

On your iPhone go to App Store....search for Simple Transfer

download it etc

It does have a limit on amount you can transfer...read the blurb...it is quite generous.
If you have Large quantities (as I do) pay the $15....it is well worth it.

Access it via tour web browser...in my case Firefox....just type in the url....something like 192.168...blah blab

The pics on the phone appear.click on the ones you want....click on download in top right hand corner...save to wherever...downloads ...desktop
The pics etc will be in a brown colored folder
Double click to open it....and away you go

Don't old topics get locked?

Nope :)

In this way, we get new technology answers that might assist current users.

You can tell by for example running your mouse over the OP's avatar to see if they have posted since the first Post, and if not and the Thread is very old, then you may be talking to yourself.

In this case, the OP, Brian, is alive and kicking (well, what passes for it), the Thread subject is clear, and still current, and all is well.

Avagudweegend, all

Wizard

Yep, by the way, this is with non proprietary library or apps, directly plugged into your linux system and so with no limit of using it or pay something.
Could do also remotely with Nextcloud and a free cloud provider to use as a transfer.
But we already know iPhone's users have a lot of money and it doesn't matter if they have to throw money again for that :p

With simple transfer all pics etc are transferred via the local wireless network. Problem was the new isp we found ourselves with in the Philippines had blocked that ability in the router....and they were not about to unblock it for a foreigner.
So we emailed everything to ourselves and got around most of the problem that way. We also used Maccas cafes to do a small amount of what needed to be done

I remember seeing gthumb at the time, and also meeting with no success.

Now we are back in Australia, the problem is no more.

Yes, Brian is alive and kicking. I remind myself of that fact every morning !!

With simple transfer all pics etc are transferred via the local wireless network. Problem was the new isp we found ourselves with in the Philippines had blocked that ability in the router....and they were not about to unblock it for a foreigner.
So we emailed everything to ourselves and got around most of the problem that way. We also used Maccas cafes to do a small amount of what needed to be done

I remember seeing gthumb at the time, and also meeting with no success.

Now we are back in Australia, the problem is no more.

Yes, Brian is alive and kicking. I remind myself of that fact every morning !!
Wouldn't have been easier to have bought another cheap router, hook it up to the ISP router. Than activate a wireless network on that one. To then connect your iPhone and your PC to the wireless network of the cheap router hooked up to the ISP one. Since both your PC and your iPhone are both connected to a local wireless network not needing to go through the ISP router now. Then you could have probably still transferred the pictures from your Iphone to your PC by using the a wireless network the way you did before.

Now you tell me !!!!????? :D :rolleyes:
LAUGH.gif
LAUGH.gif

@f33dm3bits I am SO going to pick your brains if I ever get into networking (yours and a few others from here).

If you feel an itch between your left ear and your right ear, that will be me scratching for information.

Later folks

Wiz

Thinking of that if it was all done locally and not needing an internet connection for that transfer you could have also left that cheap wireless router stand alone and not plugged into the isp router. This way you have would just have an isolated local network.

He He, let's play around, since Firefox provides TouchVPN addon for free with no subsription could be that way also.
Then another thing is internet Cube plugged into your router, open source but being realistic still have a material cost, interesting for many things not only phone's stuffs
(If cable is to hard to set up).
But then you finally back in Australia to get your iPhone's rights ! :D

@f33dm3bits I am SO going to pick your brains if I ever get into networking (yours and a few others from here).

If you feel an itch between your left ear and your right ear, that will be me scratching for information.

Later folks

Wiz
I don't know much about networking but that's how I always did it. I would request my ISP to set my ISP router in bridge mode, hook my own wireless router onto it and then setup my router how I wanted to configure it and use it. Also hooking up second router to your ISP router without setting it in bridge mode works as well. But from @Condobloke 's story it probably would have been enough to get the transfer done by just leaving that cheap wireless router standalone and hooked up to a local wireless isolated network that way.

Well....I know far more at the end of my day than I did at the start of it.

Thanks everyone !.....in particular you, @f33dm3bits

Well....I know far more at the end of my day than I did at the start of it.

Thanks everyone !.....in particular you, @f33dm3bits
I"m not the best at explaining things, but I think you got the idea of what probably would have worked as well.

Don't worry @Condobloke if I picked up you brain and it didn't work for you, that did the same for me while this is my Spouse iPhone (I'm using Android).
Fortunately linux systems and internet things can be a good work around even if we just would like a simple one click solution to get this done.

Members online