Tough Decision..

V

Vasilis alex

Hi, I want to make linux my primary operating system, I use Windows for a lot of years and i feel that is time to go to the next step. But i have some questions such as :
What kind of linux i should use (Ubuntu, fedora etc)
I have to look if my hardware system is compatible with the OS that i will choose ?
Would i be able to play some windows games ? Through a virtual machine perhaps...
Are there different kind of programs and suites like office or photoshop for linux ?
Sorry for being tiring with all this questions but i don't where to start from and if is going to work for me...
I will wait for some answers...
Thank you in advance !

Hi, I want to make linux my primary operating system, I use Windows for a lot of years and i feel that is time to go to the next step. But i have some questions such as :
What kind of linux i should use (Ubuntu, fedora etc)
I have to look if my hardware system is compatible with the OS that i will choose ?
Would i be able to play some windows games ? Through a virtual machine perhaps...
Are there different kind of programs and suites like office or photoshop for linux ?
Sorry for being tiring with all this questions but i don't where to start from and if is going to work for me...
I will wait for some answers...
Thank you in advance !

What I would do is to download ISO's of some different brands of Linux and burn them onto a DVD RW/R (That way you can still use the disk later for something else.) and run Linux from the DVD to start out and see if that version is comfortable for you plus check to see if your hardware will work (i.e DVD, wireless, keyboard, ethernet port...etc.). The "big" ones are Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Linux is Linux no matter what (some versions are slightly different but it's mostly the same) the difference is the desktops as there are so many. Ubuntu uses "Unity" for their main desktop and Mint uses "Cinnamon" for it's desktop. I personally use Mint. The best way to learn is to download and get a Linux learner PDF guide on the net (or you can even buy a book and read it plus follow along with doing the tasks they are talking about.

Good luck in your endeavors and keep in touch :)

Last edited:
I would also recommend Ubuntu.

You can use LibreOffice instead of Microsoft Office and Gimpshop as an alternative to Photoshop.

Probably you won't be able to run windows games in a VM as good as you would in Windows itself, because of the drivers and everything. If you want to run some demanding games I recommend you a Dual Boot (GNU/Linux - W7).

Libre Office can be even better than M. Office when you get used to it.

Ubuntu is a great distro for beginners, can be very graphical and has a great stability.

Members online