TouchPad MSFT0001:00 06CB:7F28

Dam..... thought it may have been an easy fix, having searched "MSFT0001 linux driver problem" it appears there is ongoing problems across most distributions [there is one question on the ubuntu forums been sitting there for about 6 months and no replies]
how old is your lenovo?
addendum
have you tried a distribution with more up to date drivers such ad MX with AHS

Have you tried the fix mentioned in this post from the other thread you linked?

The OP of the other thread mentions it worked for him in Pop OS which is Ubuntu based.

@Linuxembourg Thanks for the help. Did try and no go.
@brickwizard have no clue how old is the laptop I am using. Its a "Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05H"
I wiped Ubuntu :rolleyes: Loved using Ubuntu vanilla because its the only Distro (I tested not all but a couple) that allowed my Laptop to be running cool as a cucumber and with great battery run time. Don't know what they did but they did it right. Regardless, no touchpad on a laptop is kind of a show stopper.
I am now running OpenSuse Tumbleweed with latest kernel I guess "5.15.2-1-default". The touchpad works as you would expect with the newest kernel. One main issue is the fan running too high for my taste. Comparing with Ubuntu, I would like to be able to have it like before: quiet. I haven't tested the battery runtime nor the display driver for the nvidia 1660ti. As per below, it does seem nouveau drivers were installed. At first glance, not as good as the latest proprietary drivers installed on Ubuntu. Regardless, can't complain as working out the box for now :cool:

Code:
/usr/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU116M [GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile] [10de:2191] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3a46]
    Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    Kernel modules: nouveau

Display backlight -> Ok
Keyboard backlight -> Ok
Bluetooth -> Ok - ish.. Connect with external speakers but random disconnection.. No idea why.
sound --> Ok but... Keyboard shortcut for sound is dead. No effect on the sound volume at all.. I have to use the onscreen slider then it works. I guess from my reading about Xfce, its more or less expected. Possibly some libraries missing ?
ethernet --> Ok
WiFi --> Ok.

PS: Went with Xfce.

Have been issue with kernel 5.15.2. Mainly fan running high and video glitches. I moved from Tumbleweed to Leap. I am now running kernel "5.3.18-59.34-default" and the issue of fan running high is gone. Video glitches, don't know yet but I would assume that same problem since nouveau drivers are being installed by default. I followed a couple of howtos on how to install Nvidia proprietary drivers but its a no go with weird issues afterwards that I could not fix.
Fun fact --> Touchpad which never worked under Ubuntu LTS 20.04 is working out the box with kernel 5.3 o_O
Went with KDE this time .. Much better from an esthetic side :cool:

Members online