Toshiba Tecra A9 access to Bios page 2

Thijs

Reaction score
Credits
My school donated 12 older laptops to a school in Gambia.
Windows XP is installed on it but I want to install Xubuntu. There is a problem entering Bios. With Esc and F1 I can enter Bios but only access to page 1. PgUp and PgDn are blocked so I am not able to enter page 2, to change the boot order. I have the Admin passwd but also within Windows XP the Taskmanager is blocked. Ctrl-Alt-Del is not working either. I can not run Start - Run because it is not there either. Can you help me?

F2?
How to Enter BIOS on Tecra A9
Written by Margaret Worthington | 13/05/2017

The Toshiba Tecra A9 computer has a Basic Input Output System (BIOS) software program installed on its motherboard. The BIOS allows the hardware of the computer to communicate with the operating system and it is integral in the start-up of the operating system. If you need to access the BIOS, you can do so to make changes to the basic hardware settings on the computer.

Shut down the computer if it is already on.

Turn on the computer. When the initial splash screen appears that contains the Toshiba logo, press the "ESC" key.

Press the "F2" key to access the BIOS on your Tecra A9. When you finish in the BIOS, press the "ESC" key to exit the BIOS and continue the boot process.

References
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6245552_enter-bios-tecra-a9.html

Thanks for your reply
But I have done this all, no problem
I do get into the BIOS
but then then the keys pgUp and PgDn are dead, so i can't get to page 2
that is my problem

Thanks for your reply
But I have done this all, no problem
I do get into the BIOS
but then then the keys pgUp and PgDn are dead, so i can't get to page 2
that is my problem

Hi @Thijs, and welcome to the site. I've never heard of a problem like you're describing before. BIOS usually doesn't have mouse control to click into other tabs/pages... but PgUP and PgDN are also not your usually keys to navigate. The usual method is the arrow keys... right arrow and left arrow to switch between pages. Have you tried that? Then within each page, the up arrow and down arrow navigate among the selections.... again, not PgUP or PgDN.

Except for securing the BIOS with a password, there is nothing (that I know of) that can change the behavior to lock out just part of the system (page 2) or individual keys (PgUP/DN)... however, those keys may not have a purpose on any given page, so that they could seem to be dead when really there is nothing for them to control.

A couple of thoughts:

1. You could try to remove the internal coin battery. Leave it out for about 5 minutes or so and then re-install it and boot into BIOS. That should clear the Administrator password, but perhaps it will clear any other issues that are troubling you. (Oops... maybe not. This page indicates it is much harder to change the password if it is unknown. So may not help with your problem either.)

2. There should be a boot interrupt to allow you to boot from CD/DVD... so that you could install Linux without changing the boot order in BIOS. In the Tecra, it seems that you need to hit F12 or maybe "C" (for CD-ROM) with the computer is starting to access this menu. Source: Toshiba Support

More from Google and Toshiba:

This page from Toshiba describes making BIOS changes in older computers. If you still have Windows XP running, you might look inside Control Panel to see if an app called HWSetup is there. If so, try running that. I have sure never heard of BIOS control like this.... and what will be your options if you replace Windows with Linux? Will you be locked out of BIOS forever? This is quite strange, to me.

Cheers

Can you access the HW Setup? Start>All Programs>TOSHIBA>Utilities>HWsetup

You should be able to change the Boot Priority from there. Try CD-ROM->LAN->FDD->HDD

Can you access the HW Setup? Start>All Programs>TOSHIBA>Utilities>HWsetup

You should be able to change the Boot Priority from there. Try CD-ROM->LAN->FDD->HDD

Thanks for all the help
it is more easy than one can imagine
Push and hold the INSERT key
start the laptop
after typing the bios password you can enter
1 release INSERT and push F1 to enter BIOS, both page 1 and 2; change BOOT order/password etc
END to save the changes..
start over
Push and hold the INSERT key
2 still hold down INSERT, push F12, choose with left/right keys the dvd-player and release INSERT; push ENTER
thanks again

Members online

Latest posts