Toshiba compatibility?

M

Mary Abbott

Greetings friends,

Recently I bought a Toshiba Satellite L75D-A7280 with Windows 8. Although dual-boot instructions were followed Linux obliterated Win8...In an effort to get my computer working properly again I have dual-booted with Win7 Pro, but not everything works. I think this is because my system configuration may be too new.

Currently, I have Ubuntu 13.04, kernel 3.10 (most likely going to upgrade to 13.10) and so far everything seems to be working. I am curious though about something to do with APUs...when I tried to play Lord of the Rings Online with Win 7 it said cannot detect graphics device and when I tried Mint 15 I could not get the accelerated graphics driver to work properly (which is why I am back to Ubuntu).

My big question after all this typing, is what can be done about it? Is there a recommended distro for Toshiba machines or Win8 configured machines in general? If not I have to get Win8 again and update to 8.1 to find out what that's going to be like...But I still need to get something working for my game because it will never be modified to work with Win8 (saw it in the forums). Also, it is only because of layer things like WINE that I will even be able to play LotRo with Linux.

Windows 8 tends to have problems with Linux due to Microsoft's new programming. Many people have a variety of issues when dual-booting between Linux and Windows 8. Some people report issues with dual-booting with Windows 7.

As far as your hardware, Linux works well on Toshiba devices. So, you can use any distro you wish. If Ubuntu works well on that hardware and Windows is not, then maybe you should consider erasing Windows and only using Linux. NOTE: That may void your warranty for your hardware.

WINE generally works well, but there are some issues.

I hope that answers your question.

Aloha and welcome to Linux.org! If you found a post helpful, remember to click "Like". If you asked a question and some answered very well to your satisfaction, remember to click "Best Answer". The latest articles on posted on the main page of this site. Enjoy the site!

Yes, thank you Devyn. My warranty got voided when Linux wiped out Win8...but that's okay since there are, at present, no problems with Linux, that I am noticing at least. I never tried LotRo with Steam but I'm not sure if I should re-install to try it.. According to BIOS my graphics is handled by AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics, the processor part of it is 2.00ghz x 4, which to me is unheard of for a laptop. In the system details it says I've got VESA: Kalindi, what does that mean?

What else, besides WINE or Steam is there for playing windows-designed games? WINE is advertising CrossOver I think it's called but I don't know anything else about it. Will be looking into it at least.

What else, besides WINE or Steam is there for playing windows-designed games? WINE is advertising CrossOver I think it's called but I don't know anything else about it. Will be looking into it at least.

I do not know of others. Last I knew, CrossOver was proprietary, but I may be wrong about that. You could install Windows on a virtual machine. Install Oracle's VMware and install Windows in it to run Windows apps.

Yes, thank you Devyn. My warranty got voided when Linux wiped out Win8...but that's okay since there are, at present, no problems with Linux, that I am noticing at least. I never tried LotRo with Steam but I'm not sure if I should re-install to try it.. According to BIOS my graphics is handled by AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics, the processor part of it is 2.00ghz x 4, which to me is unheard of for a laptop. In the system details it says I've got VESA: Kalindi, what does that mean?

If I am not mistaken, the lines below should answer your question correctly.

Processor (CPU): AMD A6-5200 APU

GPU (Graphics Processor): Radeon HD

Video Driver: Kalindi

Video Standard/Format: VESA

The processor (AMD) aids the graphics card and the driver (Kalindi) controls the graphics-card/GPU which uses the VESA format.

This may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA

Crossover is pay to use still yes...

I recommend getting Play on Linux to help with wine setup. As well as wine tricks.

Thanks for trying to help guys but I may end up re-doing Win 8 anyway to get a laptop that didn't originally come with that OS. Spoke to someone with Toshiba, finally and their company does not encourage downgrading the OS on a system that is Windows 8 default, because of the new type of drivers to accommodate the OS's design... OR ...Need to get someplace where I have steady internet connection to completely set up WINE, WineTricks and PlayOnLinux...that is if I can find the one compatible with Ubuntu. Saw Raring Ringtail on the compatible distros list when looking at it with a system running Lucid Lynx, but when I went looking for it actually running Raring...it wasn't there that I could see :-(

Also, I am having trouble getting Ubuntu 13.10 to boot for trying it out. Keeps failing, not sure exactly where yet, have to try again and watch more closely; maybe I will be able to see which part is failing so I can offer more information on the situation.

BTW... What is the difference between APU and GPU, besides one being 'accelerated'? ... some of the new things that are being developed are confusing. :p

Members online