Tor browser not launching after installation on Kali

JustaLearner

Reaction score
Credits
Hello World,
This happen to be my first post to this community. Any help is much appreciated.

I did install both tor and torbrowser-launcher on my machine, but when I tried to run the command "torbrowser-launcher", it shows the small dialog box saying installing and verifying signature, then I get the following message and it's not loading the tor browser:

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/agent77_kali/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Docs/ChangeLog.txt'
zsh: IOT instruction torbrowser-laun

I can see that the Tor Browser and Tor Browser Launcher settings has been installed as it's in the applications, screenshot below.
If I open the Tor browser from the application section, the verifying signature dialog box pops up and after few seconds, close.
And if I open the Tor Browser Launcher settings, the details can also be seen from the screenshot below.

What can I do to resolve the error please.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (31).png
    MicrosoftTeams-image (31).png
    104.4 KB · Views: 514
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (30).png
    MicrosoftTeams-image (30).png
    378.3 KB · Views: 517
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (29).png
    MicrosoftTeams-image (29).png
    36.4 KB · Views: 484

Alternatively, install the tor tarball in its own directory in your home directory, and then start it from a terminal by opening a terminal, navigating to the directory at <some-directory> /tor-browser/Browser, and then running the command: ./start-tor-browser.

To run tor you don't actually need that file in the FileNotFoundError message that your output shows tor to have borked on. That appears to be a result of an interaction with the desktop environment you are using. The benefit of running tor from a terminal is that it can leave some outputs (standard error) which may be relevant to its running in that terminal for you to inspect if there have been some issues. Usually however, it runs smoothly but like treacle. YMMV.

Moved to Kali, where it should have been placed in the first place.

Wizard

I had the same issue today. I realised that the path that gets created during the installation doesn't have matching folder name. This is expected --> '/home/agent77_kali/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Docs/ChangeLog.txt'
But this exists --> '/home/agent77_kali/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser/Browser/TorBrowser/Docs/ChangeLog.txt'
I solved it by just renaming the folder to what is expected from tor-browser to tor-browser_en-US

Alternatively, install the tor tarball in its own directory in your home directory, and then start it from a terminal by opening a terminal, navigating to the directory at <some-directory> /tor-browser/Browser, and then running the command: ./start-tor-browser.

To run tor you don't actually need that file in the FileNotFoundError message that your output shows tor to have borked on. That appears to be a result of an interaction with the desktop environment you are using. The benefit of running tor from a terminal is that it can leave some outputs (standard error) which may be relevant to its running in that terminal for you to inspect if there have been some issues. Usually however, it runs smoothly but like treacle. YMMV.
Thanks for this.

I had the same issue today. I realised that the path that gets created during the installation doesn't have matching folder name. This is expected --> '/home/agent77_kali/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Docs/ChangeLog.txt'
But this exists --> '/home/agent77_kali/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser/Browser/TorBrowser/Docs/ChangeLog.txt'
I solved it by just renaming the folder to what is expected from tor-browser to tor-browser_en-US
Thanks.

I didn't reply earlier as I assumed you are experienced in the use and terminal in Linux, and have comprehensively read both the Kali and Tor documentation before you started.

Did you install the version in the Kali repository, other versions may not work with Kali,

Open the terminal then run the following commands:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y tor torbrowser-launcher

As user run the following command:
torbrowser-launcher

if you have installed another version, you must uninstall it before using the approved version from the Kali repository

DO NOT use Torrent or add any additional security packages to your tor browser
DO NOT try to enable plugins such as Flash, RealPlayer, QuickTime, and others:
both of these actions will admonish any security Tor has, and can also make it bulk the system

Brickwizard wrote:
Did you install the version in the Kali repository, other versions may not work with Kali,
The Tor Project recommends that one use the Tor Browser Bundle, a standalone tarball that includes static builds of Tor, as suggested in post #2. One downloads it from the torproject.org page. That way, one gets the pristine version of what was intended by the Tor project. The tarball is robust and reliable and is designed to work on any working linux system. That's not to say that the packagers of Kali or any other distro don't package Tor in its best possible state, but when individuals are assessing the levels of privacy or security or usage that they wish for, it's as well to consider the range of recommendations that are available so they can choose in their own best interests.

The following worked for me: sudo usermod -a -G debian-tor your_user

Staff online