Too much email

Granny Sue

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I have a bad habit of not checking my emails ~ to the tune of over 22,000. It started when I got so sick I didn't really care about them, many years ago. I'm trying to get rid of them now and you can well imagine the daunting process it is. But the real problem is opening Thunderbird Mail. My computer slows down to a snail's pace.

Now, when I first started using Thunderbird, I just went with whatever it told me to do to get started. But I didn't realize I was downloading all my email to my hard drive (which it seems to do every time I open it.). Isn't there a way it can stay on the internet like gmail? Can I uninstall it and re-install it to make this happen? It would certainly make life easier.

Thanks all you brainiacs out there.

Granny Sue

Oh, and what does this screenshot mean?

Screenshot at 2020-02-25 16-28-27.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have a bad habit of not checking my emails ~ to the tune of over 22,000. It started when I got so sick I didn't really care about them, many years ago. I'm trying to get rid of them now and you can well imagine the daunting process it is. But the real problem is opening Thunderbird Mail. My computer slows down to a snail's pace.

Now, when I first started using Thunderbird, I just went with whatever it told me to do to get started. But I didn't realize I was downloading all my email to my hard drive (which it seems to do every time I open it.). Isn't there a way it can stay on the internet like gmail? Can I uninstall it and re-install it to make this happen? It would certainly make life easier.

Granny Sue
Use a online email, way more reliable, and that file thing means in basic terms, "Would you like to pact/compose of those files". Use an online E-mail on your browser, it's way better. Downloaded e-mail apps can be a pain sometimes!

Thunderbird if my memory serves me well is an email client which just makes available emails for an email account.i use clawmail but all it's doing is getting mail for my Gmail account. So I think you must have an actual email account and that all 20k + emails will be in inbox of that account. You can either go directly to your email account and delete there or delete via Thunderbird. In fact if you go to account settings it should say things like SMTP Gmail IMAP and show your user name for actual email

Last edited:
I'm on my phone so image small ,it's ok to yes.whst it will do is use a compression feature; it will still keep the emails. What you might be able to do is use "from" search filter for emails from known friends etc and move them.do a few runs like that then delete everything else.

Last edited:
Your email must be set up as pop3......as opposed to imap

pop3 brings email from the server and stores them on your PC

imap is used to access emails on a server....it leaves them there

Your email address.....I do not want to know the whole thing....it will have some name(probably yours) , and then @gmail.com (or something similar). Tell me the @gmail or @yahoo or whatever it is.....

it leaves them there on the server until you delete them using your email client; in that case ( ceertainly with clawsemail ) it then removes the email from the dir on your computer and from the place where your email is stored on server.

Thank you, Captain Sensible and Condobloke, for your unfailing (and seemingly untiring) help. Last night I was talking to my son about this and he suggested I just go to the google email portal online and I could probably do it a lot quicker. I did and he was right. I have it down to a much more manageable (but still too big) 1200. At any rate, it's almost done now. I do like Thunderbird but I would like to change from pop3 to imap. (I always wondered what the difference was, now I know.) If I can't switch it then I'd like to check into Clawmail. Is that available through software manager?

Did I say you guys are great? Well, I should have!! Thanks again.

Granny Sue

Your email must be set up as pop3......as opposed to imap

pop3 brings email from the server and stores them on your PC

imap is used to access emails on a server....it leaves them there

Your email address.....I do not want to know the whole thing....it will have some name(probably yours) , and then @gmail.com (or something similar). Tell me the @gmail or @yahoo or whatever it is.....
@gmail.com

Set up IMAP
  1. On your computer, open Gmail.
  2. In the top right, click Settings .
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
  5. In the "IMAP access" section, select Enable IMAP.
  6. Click Save Changes.

Thanks! Will do!

Hi,

Granny Sue

have you tried sites like cleanfox or unroll.me???

I used cleanfox, it will ask you which emails you wish to suscribe and unscubscibe from! This isnt as bad as it sounds, as you wont have to go through all 22,000 of your emails, a lot of the emails i bet are from the same companys, cleanfox or unroll.me will just ask you which to subscibe or unscusbsribe to and does the leg work for you. makes soritng out your email account much easier and de clutters it! hope this helps

have you tried sites like cleanfox or unroll.me???

I used cleanfox, it will ask you which emails you wish to suscribe and unscubscibe from! This isnt as bad as it sounds, as you wont have to go through all 22,000 of your emails, a lot of the emails i bet are from the same companys, cleanfox or unroll.me will just ask you which to subscibe or unscusbsribe to and does the leg work for you. makes soritng out your email account much easier and de clutters it! hope this helps
tHANKS, @Condobloke , I actually have unroll.me on my gmail and I never even thought to do that! So far, I've gotten it down to around 2200 (one less zero makes a huge difference) and counting. I'll do the unroll.me thing for the rest. I have made the sad mistake of creating a new email address many times, I probably have 6 or 7, so I need to get unroll.me put on those also. I'd like to close some of them, but they're tied up with passwords, etc, so I think I'm stuck. I want to get them all cleaned up and then designate each email address for a certain purpose. When that will happen, I don't know. There's thing called life that keeps getting in the way of my other plans...... :eek:

tHANKS, @Condobloke , I actually have unroll.me on my gmail and I never even thought to do that! So far, I've gotten it down to around 2200 (one less zero makes a huge difference) and counting. I'll do the unroll.me thing for the rest. I have made the sad mistake of creating a new email address many times, I probably have 6 or 7, so I need to get unroll.me put on those also. I'd like to close some of them, but they're tied up with passwords, etc, so I think I'm stuck. I want to get them all cleaned up and then designate each email address for a certain purpose. When that will happen, I don't know. There's thing called life that keeps getting in the way of my other plans...... :eek:
Sorry, @Condobloke and @smooth_buddha , I just realized I got you two mixed up. Mea Culpa, please forgive me. o_O

Consider yourself forgiven.

Why do some of your email addresses have an association with passwords ?....i am curious

because I was using different addresses for different websites. I was trying to organize things by email address: one address for biblical stuff, one address for crafts, one address for household type websites, etc. It was a poor decision, to be sure, but I'm kind of stuck now.

because I was using different addresses for different websites. I was trying to organize things by email address: one address for biblical stuff, one address for crafts, one address for household type websites, etc. It was a poor decision, to be sure, but I'm kind of stuck now.
You could yse the same email adress and within your email box create sub folders one for biblical one for crafts, one for adresses ect. I belive there is even a way you can set it up so emails say from biblical subscriptions go straight into your biblical folder and craft emails into crafts folder ect i have not set my email to do this as i like to go through and send them manually to my subfolders. I hope this helps

Even if you leave your email on the server, at some point you will use up all your allocated space on the server. It may be gigabytes, but there is a limit.

I use Thunderbird and download my email. Even with that, it goes to a Trash location on the server. But I really don't like keeping much on someone else's system, so when I back up my local data, I clean up what's on the server.

The message on your PC is simply asking if you want the email client to free up space on your PC. Even if you "delete" something, it doesn't always go away, so that message asks if you want it to go away.

unroll.me
Is this a Gmail app?
As an aside with Gmail you have 15 GB of storage so even with your original number you were more than likely using only about 35% of it.

@Condobloke
Thanks for that as I was thinking of using Thunderbird and was unaware of that setting on my Gmail account.

Members online