Today's thread is another guest article, and I'm going to toss it into the off-topic sub-forum...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It probably should go into the general section, because it's something we all face. We geeks, power users, computationally curious people are at high risk for RSIs - Repetitive Stress Injuries.

Well, this article tells you a bit about what they are and suggests you look into finding ways to reduce the risk of injury.

Feedback is awesome, but I don't look a free guest article in the mouth really.

It's not only desk jobs that cause problems.

I'm retired from the gas company and my hands are riddled with all kinds of problems carpal and arthritis and perhaps nephropathy.

I have standard arthritis throughout most every joint of my body mainly just from doing manual labor type of work all of my life.

We had good hand tools but none like now with all of the ergonomic designs and cushioned handles they have now however I don't know how much difference ergonomic tools make.

I guess the test of time will tell anyway won't help me now although I use a good thick pair of leather gloves when using any hand tools that may require a lot of torque.

I do hand exercises but that doesn't give much relief and over the counter ibuprofen and
naproxen sodium and Bragg's apple cider vinegar are my best friends.

I live with the pain and just accept the fact that some days I may have a hitch in my get along or may be stove up.

I guess that's the price paid for going to work instead of going to college.

I can't complain had a good job and made good money with good benefits and have a good retirement. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not only desk jobs that cause problems.

Yup. Anyone making repetitive motions. I worked in a factory back in college, eventually stopping because my wrists were starting to get trashed.

If you're curious, I made shoes. I made women's high heel shoes. It was not entirely work, it was kinda fun learning all that stuff. As a quick learner, they made me a 'utility' worker, where I learned all the jobs, including the specialty hand-made stuff.

I guess that's the price paid for going to work instead of going to college.

LOL I have my doctoral and spent an equal number of years as a Marine. I haven't been kind to my body and hindsight is 2020. There aren't too many things that don't hurt. I did take good care of my teeth, so I've got that going for me.

If you're curious, I made shoes. I made women's high heel shoes.

A bit off topic here.

I had a elderly neighbor who was a shoe cobbler or shoe and boot repair owned his shop.
He owned the equipment and machines which were old and used wide leather drive belts.

He was always talking about teaching me the trade which would have been really cool. :cool:
He made lots of money and would stash money in shoe boxes because he didn't trust banks.

A bit off topic here.

It's okay, this is in off-topic. ;-)

I learned many of the cobbler techniques, but never got to work on boots. I know *how* they're done, but I have no experience doing reheeling, resoling, or the likes.

Yeah it would have been neat to learn the shoe and boot repair trade from an old master of the art but unfortunately he passed away and his kids had no interest. :(

A Vietnamese guy bought it and it's still in business.

A Vietnamese guy bought it and it's still in business.

Well, they may still be willing to teach you. It's rough on your wrists and hands, especially if it's completely by hand. I knew a bunch of folks who worked on boots and dress shoes, the kind that were hand stitched, and I would not want to be their fingers at the age of 80.

Well, they may still be willing to teach you. It's rough on your wrists and hands, especially if it's completely by hand. I knew a bunch of folks who worked on boots and dress shoes, the kind that were hand stitched, and I would not want to be their fingers at the age of 80.

Me neither as my hands fumble enough now.

Yeah it would have been neat to learn the shoe and boot repair trade from an old master of the art
You might ask questions of @charlie.corder... he owned a shoe repair business for about 45 years. I'd guess he has a story or two he could tell you. Maybe he'll swing by since I've mentioned his name.

You might ask questions of @charlie.corder... he owned a shoe repair business for about 45 years. I'd guess he has a story or two he could tell you. Maybe he'll swing by since I've mentioned his name.
I read something about Tango Charlie being in the shoe repair business and also being a pilot and just put 2 & 2 together Charlie Corder is Tango Charlie.

Staff online

Members online