Today's post is about 'quitting Windows'...

See, I'm quitting smoking (doing fine, thanks) and one of the motivators is the timeline of events one experiences when quitting smoking.
I used to smoke although have cut myself down to an occasional cigarette every now and then.

I stopped smoking marijuana and now I bake marijuana brownies and cookies . ;)
And of coarse I have a medical marijuana license wouldn't want to be a law breaker. :rolleyes:

I still drink on occasion but not much anymore.

I hope you succeed, i have been failing to give up for the last year.

So far so good.

Gummy or Hard candy?

Hard candy - Life Savers, mixed fruit flavors. I still reach for them now and again.

As far as quitting smoking, I did in 2007.

Congrats. I still have cravings, but they're easier to deal with.
I stopped smoking marijuana and now I bake marijuana brownies and cookies .

I do like my edibles.

When ya stop doing them chemical habits anything that messes with your brain endorphins there's always gonna be cravings when ya stop doing them chemical habits.

As for eatables it takes a bit of trial and error to find that preferred stoned level.

The worse part of stopped smoking is the months after where your body replaces all of them damaged blood cells etc which kinda feels like going through puberty again. :p

The other bad thing is all of the lung cookies aka snot you will hack up clearing your lungs which is a good thing when it's finally finished.

I will say all in all it's worth the minor inconveniences you may experience now and then.

I will say all in all it's worth the minor inconveniences you may experience now and then.

The cravings suck but it's worth it. Chantix is pretty much magic.

I'm quitting GNU/Linux and going back to Windows. Good bye!

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya. :p See Ya Bye. :p

https://media.tenor.com/images/cf53e741abe02cefc1648c091e08b576/tenor.gif

I stuck it out with MyCrudSoft till EOL for XP. After nearly 30 years with the Redmond curse hanging like a millstone around my neck - and 13 of those with XP itself - I decided; enough was enough!

I Googled 'Free alternative operating systems' two days after EOL.....and was absolutely blown away by what I found. I did some research into Linux; 300+ 'distros', almost all of which were completely free? Whoo-hoo!

I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 'Trusty Tahr', wiped MyCrudSoft off my drives and out of my life, installed Ubuntu, and jumped into the Sea of Linux.....at the deep end! Oh, sure; there was a BIT of a learning curve. But it was nowhere near as bad as many people tried to make out, and it didn't take too long to surmount.

I guess I was lucky. I was never 'wedded' to Windows for anything work-related. Every job I'd ever had simply had no use for the things; hard to believe these days, but still very possible in the 80s & 90s. I worked for one firm for nearly 14 years, in the minerals-processing sector. The only person who used one was the guv'nor's secretary.....and she treated it with 'kid gloves', as though it might explode at any moment. The poor lass was freakin' terrified of the thing..... :D

So it was extremely easy for me to make the switch.

----------------------------------------------------

I kept that Ubuntu install going for about 6 months, all the while 'hopping' around t'other distros, trying different things out. Then Canonical decided to drop support for my elderly Radeon GPU in one of their 'custom kernel upgrades'; this was the start of Shuttleworth's obsession with trying to make Ubuntu compete directly with Windoze on a level playing field. Drop support for old hardware, and concentrate on all the brand-new stuff. Totally contrary to general Linux practice.

Graphical glitches and total 'freeze-ups' became the order of the day. I soon got fed-up with that.

A mate on the Ubuntu Forums suggested I give Puppy Linux a try. Their newest build, based on Trusty - Tahrpup - had just been released. I tried it on ye anciente Inspiron lappie - a P4 and a gig of DDR1. It was the first Linux distro I'd tried that would boot to a working desktop OOTB. Everything else needed a ton of arcane kernel line incantations to make 'em work with the bizarre Intel 'Extreme' graphics, part of the 'Brookedale'-cored 82845 chipset. Intel tore the VESA rulebook up and chucked it out of the window when they built that thing. 'Twas a total bloody nightmare to work with.

I was so impressed with Pup that I wiped Ubuntu and installed Tahrpup on the big Compaq rig I had at the time. The graphics side of things calmed down immediately; Puppy has always stuck with more or less bog-standard kernels, without a load of idiotic compile-time switches being toggled-off. The rest, as they say, is history. I haven't looked back since.

Mike. ;)

Chantix should be magic for what it cost.

With my insurance, it doesn't even have a co-pay. They want me to quit smoking.

I am very happy with Linux (currently openSUSE Tumbleweed) so far, even if it took a bit of distro-hopping to test some distros that I had not used before, namely Arch Linux, and I do not plan to move back to Windows at any point in the future, even for when / if I ever get a gaming PC.

Bartman said:
Chantix should be magic for what it cost

Chantix side effects.. Some of the strangest dreams you ever have. I took it for a VERY short time will quitting. I once dreamed that I was riding my Harley along the grand canyon walls!!! What a night. LOL

Some of the strangest dreams you ever have.

Sadly, I haven't had much of that. I was looking forward to vivid/unusual dreams, but I got nothing.

I don't dream much as it is. I have severe insomnia, solved only with heavy drugs. So, I dream more than I used to, but not that often. Before, I didn't really sleep much - just a few hours every few days and then I'd crash for like six hours after a week. I'd never/seldom enter REM state, so didn't really dream. I used my insomnia to my advantage, so there's that. Now that I'm retired, I've been through a few sleep studies and we finally found drugs that would help me sleep, to a point. Eventually, my tolerance builds up and I have to switch to another medication - but that one's habit forming, so I only stay on it for a month before returning to the previous medication. Yay!

Ah well... I'm grateful for the sleep. I've been on the same program since 2018 and this is the best sleep I've ever had, for at least as long as I remember.

Yeah me too...I miss all the trouble I use to have and there's a long list
mad0061.gif
...Linux is so boring as nothing ever goes wrong and easy to use...how could I put up with that.
happy0009.gif

I've always had some machine or another running Windows, currently a Dell Precision 7530 with Windows 11 Pro. After the last round of "updates" completely hosed my audio and Bluetooth and I spent a bit of time troubleshooting and then restoring to my previous backup, I decided enough is enough. Still deciding on what to do with the laptop as far as next OS, but it for certain wont be Windows.

The big D came around and I began smoking AND chewing at the same time -- what a nicotine rush! Tried patches and gum but then I had three things going on. I saw one man put in the loony bin for a few days after using Chantix, so that drug was out of the question.

After a DUI the court enrolled me in a recovery center and AA, where I learned a few things. One of them was I could not quit on my own.

It was weird, by human standards, but I had the cravings removed following a kid running into my '88 Lincoln Town Car and totaling it. So, after prayng to my Higher Power for more than a year to remove the craving for tobacco, it took that somewhat traumatic event to trigger its cessation.
Another blessing occured at the same time -- I received over 6 grand for the Lincoln and got to keep it.

Quitting windoze in July 2010 was a helluva lot easier!

ASIDE: I wonder whar has happened with @captain-sensible ?

I've been running Linux as my main OS for about 14 months, and I love it. I decide when to update, and it doesn't take forever. That was my biggest annoyance with windows, it would decide to update at inconvenient times and take forever to do it. Other than that I never really had any problems with windows. I just prefer Linux. Everything on my 7 year old laptop runs perfectly. I get bored because it never has any problems. Running Debian testing and it's been solid as a rock, no hiccups at all. Quitting windows was one of the best things I've ever done.

As far as quitting smoking goes, I've quit so many times I'm an expert. One of these days I will quit for real.

As you were,
--glenn

I get bored because it never has any problems.
Amen to that.

Quitting smoking ?....Hypnotherapy worked for me 39 years ago. I have not smoked since then.
Full disclosure....It cost me $150...then

Other than that I never really had any problems with windows.

One of the things I had to 'get over' was not having to tweak endless settings, not diving into the registry to make the darned OS more to my liking.

As far as quitting smoking goes, I've quit so many times I'm an expert.

I use that same exact line. Chantix worked for me. It doesn't work for everyone.

During student days I shared appartment with two friends, they smoke and I don't.
When the health issue was raised one always said 'this is my last pack', the other 'I will quit
next month'. That was ... more than 50 years ago.

Staff online

Latest posts