Today's article tells you how to create a new user with sudo privileges in Ubuntu

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It'll likely work in a number of distros, but I only bothered testing in Ubuntu and a few derivative VMs. It's a nice and simple article that won't take long to read.

Feedback is awesome!

so just to clarify - sudo gives a user root privilege ; so are using saying set up user with root privilege .
i'm a bit hazy after a glass of Pinot Noir

I try for the lingo I see, though I suspect a more accurate term would be, "a new user in the sudo group".

Ubuntu doesn't do 'root' as as a general rule, they do 'sudo'. There is a root account, but it's not really meant to be used by the end user.

in Arch if i want to add a user , which after passing sudo has full root permissions I do it as :
useradd -m -G wheel -s /bin/bash <username>

then in sudoers
//uncomment # from
# %wheel ALL=(All) All

I tend to be a lot more selective in my sudo configuration. Handing out all-encompassing root / wheel access is frowned upon in my establishment!

Well i'm in a domestic situation not a system admin; in my household wife is boss and thats who the user was I added with wheel! I did anyway knowing full well she has no clue with CLI and its only for my convenience when she is logged in and then asks for something(as they do ) which is going to involve a terminal , with me doing it, giving me another option

On my systems at home I give myself full sudo access, on the systems at work I hand out sudo permissions using the "Least Privilege Principal".

LOL My wife's fairly young, so she's used Linux pretty much as long, if not longer (going by sheer number of hours used) than she's used anything else. She doesn't even ask me for help. She doesn't tinker with it, as everything she wants is already installed and she knows how to update everything. So, she's just fine with it and it doesn't break on her.

Linux tends to not break unless you go screwing with it. She doesn't, so it doesn't break. Her laptop is getting to be pretty old, a few years old I think, but her desktop system is pretty recent. She even installed Linux on her desktop and didn't need me for more than a question or two.

Members online

Latest posts