Today's article shows you how to enable SSH.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This is a quick and easy exercise. There are tons of reasons to use SSH and it's absurdly easy to enable. It's one of the first steps I take on a new install, actually. There are times when you can more easily repair a broken system with SSH and there are times when I'm just plain lazy.

Note that I don't tell you how to secure it in this article. That article is coming! (Probably. It's not yet written.) However, on the security note, your router probably doesn't make SSH available over the 'net unless you specifically tell it to by forwarding the appropriate port. So, if this is a home system, you're not really at a whole lot of risk. They still have to get past the login to really do anything.

As always, I love the feedback.

I think you made a typo with your code box under the line "Now, simply type (this one can be easily adjusted to other package managers):" I think you missed a / in the last closing code definition because I'm seeing html there instead of just the commands you are showing.

Last edited:
Fixed, thanks.

If you want to know how that came to be, I actually had fixed it. I just hadn't clicked save. It was still sitting there in a tab by itself in edit mode. I'm pretty sure wine was partially to blame.

Really, thanks! I'd have not noticed until I referred back to it. I'd have closed the tab without thinking about it.

As the site is based on my notes, I refer to it more often than folks might expect.

Members online