Today's article is very Lubuntu/LXQt specific, involving 'window grouping'...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I can't stand window grouping. I've never liked it. I didn't like it when Windows started doing it. I certainly don't like it now.

While it's kinda hidden, it's possible to disable this feature in Lubuntu. This should work for anyone using LXQt, regardless of distro.

I do like feedback, though this isn't really an article for everyone.

When using smaller screens (eg. 1024x768, even sometimes on 1280x1024) it makes a load of sense...

(On this box, my primary PC (1920x1080x2+1680x1050), I see a panel where I have it enabled and another with it disabled.. as is often the way with GUI features I can't decide which is best; they're just different.

Good and useful article, thank you kind sir.

it makes a load of sense...

I don't even like it on smaller screens. I'll just adapt to the smaller instances in the panel - or I'd use different virtual desktops. I despise window grouping. LOL It slows me down. I am used to clicking on smaller targets. I need to clean this one up a little bit, as I'm back up to 108 open tabs. The thing is, I know what is on the tabs and where to find 'em. (This works *for me*. Dunno if anyone else would like it.)

I suppose I might get used to it if I used it long enough, maybe... Just maybe... I didn't like it the first times I used it. These days, it's one of the first changes I make.

I'm sure there are people who like it. I'm sure there are people who think I'm the weird one. I'm sure that there are people who are using other desktops and lamenting that they can't have window grouping.

As it is, it slows me down and I end up hunting for stuff.

I just started using window grouping and find it easier to divide the different things I use my computer for. It also keeps the number of tabs in my browser down to a more manageable and ordered set of windows, one for each group. Specific tasks and the programs I use for them go together in one window group while other specific tasks get their own window group, and this keeps thing nice and neat.

The only thing I don't like is having to set everything back up if I have to reboot, and I wish Ubuntu would remember what I have open and reload them all automatically.

It also keeps the number of tabs in my browser down to a more manageable and ordered set of windows, one for each group.

I have a lot of tabs open by default. Like, I know if you have 110 tabs Chrome/Chromium start to hide those tabs, so that's my soft limit. I sometimes have more, but those are temporary tabs. Like I'll open all the questions here and go through them - those are temporary tabs.

I cleaned up some from Chrome, knocking it down to about 90 tabs. This browser, Chromium, is around 100.

I know that seems like a lot - but I know where things are and have those tabs open for a reason.

I also use a nifty extension that lets me do this without using much RAM. See this page:

The information about the extension is in the first link. The article is why you don't necessarily still need it with the Chromium-family of browsers, so it may be worth reading both.

I have a lot of tabs open by default. Like, I know if you have 110 tabs Chrome/Chromium start to hide those tabs, so that's my soft limit. I sometimes have more, but those are temporary tabs. Like I'll open all the questions here and go through them - those are temporary tabs.

I cleaned up some from Chrome, knocking it down to about 90 tabs. This browser, Chromium, is around 100.

I know that seems like a lot - but I know where things are and have those tabs open for a reason.

I also use a nifty extension that lets me do this without using much RAM. See this page:
I have about 50 tabs open at any given time in my main browser window that goes in the default workspace, but that's about the limit for # of tabs I'll go since my eyesight isn't that good any more and tabs slide around depending on what I'm doing, so I can't always find the ones I'm looking for if there gets to be more tabs than that open.

If what I'm doing creates a lot of tabs and I know I'll want them open for a while or will want to come back to them later on. I'll create a new browser session in a new workspace and then move all the relevant tabs from the main browser session to the new one.

If I have to close the new browser session for any reason but want to retain the tab set-up, I just use the bookmark manager to create a bookmark folder for them and save them to there before closing the browser.

Most of my workspaces have their own browser session with their own tabs that are subject- or project-related, and there's a bookmark folder for each one that I use to save and restore the tabs,

If I have to close the new browser session for any reason but want to retain the tab set-up, I just use the bookmark manager to create a bookmark folder for them and save them to there before closing the browser.

You might be interested in a browser extension called "Session Buddy". It will automatically save open tabs and you can make your own tab groups. I use it in automatic mode. If something happens, I can restore the tabs when the browser doesn't. I also use it when I want to get another computer up and running. I save the tabs and move them to the new computer.

Members online

Latest posts