Today's article is the other half of an article I did the other day...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I wrote an article with one way to check the read speeds to your storage devices. Well, this is one way to check the write speed - using the 'dd' command.

Feedback is generally a good thing, as it makes the articles better - even if it's only improving future articles.

Hi, KGill. New guy here. Good article, but you have a typo:
After the test, you have rm text instead of test

Code:
sudo rm text.img

Also, just for fun, your test took just over 1 .5 minutes. My 500G disk drive took just under 3/4 of a minute.

Now I'm going off to find the "read" article.

LOL Thanks for catching the typo. The read article is just two articles earlier and is probably listed in the recommended - or at least still listed on the right at the time of this comment.

Good reading in my future.

There are a bunch of articles. Excluding some meta posts, there's a couple hundred of 'em. Some of 'em are actually pretty good! Some are just humdrum. Some are just articles 'cause I publish every other day and have so far enforced that schedule on myself!

Nah, there's a lot to learn there if you're new-ish to Linux. Good luck!

Well, I've been on Linux since 2009, but as Linux keeps changing, it seems like every few months, there's still plenty to learn.

You may already know about this one, but if you are looking for inspiration for a new article, I did notice one you are missing from the command line category. Every Linux comes with a command line calculator. Just enter bc

Code:
keith@occams:~$ bc
bc 1.07.1
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2012-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'.
9*5

And, to exit, you must type quit.

This is a very basic calculator that only works with whole numbers.

There is a better command line calculator that can be installed from the command line that will will display fractional results. For Deb/Ubuntu it's called apcalc, and in Arch it's calc

Code:
keith@occams:~$ calc
C-style arbitrary precision calculator (version 2.12.7.2)
Calc is open software. For license details type:  help copyright
[Type "exit" to exit, or "help" for help.]

; 52/17
    ~3.05882352941176470588
;

Then to exit, you must type exit.

Just an idea in the event you hit the brickwall of "writers-block." :)

Yeah, I plan on doing a calculator article. I just want to approach it well and haven't written it yet. The articles are largely based on the many notes I've taken over the years, and bc is in there among the rest. I just haven't got there yet. They're not really in any particular order, either. It's often just which notes I feel like writing about that day.

This started off as a year-long project. It is now well beyond that.

Actually, it's more accurately a replacement/continuation of the first site. That was on a free .gq domain and that was just a horrible decision on my part. While one search engine liked it, it was impossible to get emails through the filters and Google hated it - refusing to index even a single page. (As soon as I moved to the .us domain, Google fell in love with the site and now indexes everything and ranks me quite well for some search terms.)

his fix was soooo easy, and worked perfectly!

Indeed. I saw the interaction, where you responded to thank them/confirm the efficacy.

I'm not surprised Google sent you here - just surprised it took that long. Google *really* likes the linux.org domain name - perhaps a bit too much as we rank higher than even the Linux Project. We rank #1 for the search term "Linux". Because of this, there's frequently some confusion where people come to complain/demand changes thinking that we're actually Linux. We're not. Our admin just got a really, really good domain name.

Either way, we're a pretty solid group of people. Feel free to stick around and contribute. Heck, feel encouraged to do so.

As for the linux-tips.us site (mine and mine alone) you can always write an article! It's even easy to contribute!

If they ever decide to sell it, I'd probably offer a pretty penny. Though I may not want the hassle. It depends on my mood at the time, I suppose. It's a pretty valuable domain name.

elon.png

Members online