Today's article is something almost all of you already know!

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Yeah... Y'all already know this, but the site didn't have it as content, so now it does. It's instructions on how to make a file executable.

I suppose you can add feedback. I don't mind. ;-)

Here's an idea about an article: explain to the newbies how to make a file "immortal" (as I like to call that) by using "chattr +i /path/to/file". As you probably know, making a file "read only" through the GUI doesn't protect it from being deleted or from its content being changed by root. That's why I prefer using the immortal command, especially to protect xorg.conf and also xkb configs (I have modified 2 of these configs). That way whenever nvidia/xkb updates, they won't change the content of the corresponding files.

That's not a bad idea. Hmm... If you click on the 'contribute' you could even write it. ;-)

It went through. The plugin doesn't allow folks to pick a category, indeed! That's okay, it just went into the "General" category. I suspect something's broken, so I'll put it on my To-Do list. It used to let you pick categories... So, something is wrong somewhere.

Also... It doesn't just blindly publish articles submitted that way (or any way, unless you're an admin). If it did, the spammers would be all over it. All it does is save it as a draft. I still have to proofread, format, and schedule.

Thanks! That'll give me the chance to have a 'day off'. ;-)

It'll be at least a few days for it to appear on the site, 'cause of that whole need to proofread, format, and schedule thing. It sometimes takes longer to do those things on articles from a guest author than it takes to write an entire article.

Look for your article tomorrow.

I forgot to ask if you wanted your name credited and if you want your name to link to anything. There's no rush, it's a trivial edit to make.

Members online

Latest posts