Today's article is something a bit different...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Once in a while, I'll do a non-tech article. This is one of them, where I share some observations about Linux adoption success rates.

It's titled "Running Away From Windows" and shouldn't take all that long to read. You won't learn any new tricks, nor any new commands to use in the terminal - but it might amuse you for a few minutes and give you a reason to pontificate.

Feedback's lovely - often making the articles even better.

Bravo! This is the type of article that could be linked when someone asks "should I try Linux?"

I'm most definitely a "running toward Linux" guy, but never "ran" from Windows. More like, when I discovered Linux, I found that Linux fit me better. It gave me a playground that Windows could not.

Another point, that really has nothing to do with your article, is that Windows way of work has always been a moving target. Each major version presented vast changes, like look and feel, and where to find things in the menus. More seriously, the step by step process to do a task may no longer work. Since the command line was never supposed to be a big part of daily use, it generally lacked appropriate tooling to get work done. Linux under the hood, conversely, has remained relatively the same over the years. What worked 20 years ago, is very likely to work today.

I am a Running Away From Windows type, first thing I did when I decided to switch to Linux was to search for alternative programs that fit my interests and run on Linux too. So I made a win10 computer full of Linux capable programs, if a program wasn't run on Linux I didn't bother at all, this is how I started, that was my plan.

After about two years using Linux I still don't know much about the operating system, it just works for almost everything I want to do and I don't think I will use a Windows computer again.

Linux is easy and classy if you choose the right distribution, it's like respecting you as a user contrary with Windows

I found that Linux fit me better.

I like that it's a constant stream of new stuff - I'll never know everything there is to know about Linux. Ever.

I still don't know much about the operating system,

Given the path you've taken, that is what I'd expect. At least you have stuck with it. Many quit well before they reach a year of using Linux.

An interesting read, thanks @KGIII

Your observation of a recent thread on here that you mention in your article struck a chord with me.

The URL here is Linux.org (pretty cool), however, do you think that people who are new to Linux and who post their initial questions here are under the impression that Linux.org is a Head Office for the Linux industry (for want of a better term) ?

Obviously anyone is welcome to post here and the more the merrier but it does surprise me that those new to Linux who have problems aren't posting on the forum of the relevant distro (or maybe they are posting there too but not getting the answers - Kali lol)

Bit of a leafy lane, but something that I've observed since I joined these forums a short while ago.

@KGIII This is your best written article and so far my favorite, hats off for translating the thoughts of many to such understandable words for everyone. Although I have to point out one mistake you made in this paragraph.
They’re two very different mentalities and, as one might expect, often have very different results. No, not always will the results be different – I’m speaking about averages and observations. It’s very much possible to run away from Linux while becoming a very proficient Linux user. The opposite is also true. This post just speaks to generalities. Outliers exist.
I would think the text in bold should have been this.
It’s very much possible to run away from Windows while becoming a very proficient Linux user.

however, do you think that people who are new to Linux and who post their initial questions here are under the impression that Linux.org is a Head Office for the Linux industry (

There's a bunch of people who are confused and think we are officially Linux. I see it often.

I would think the text in bold should have been this.

Good catch. I'll fix it when I can. I'm having power issues (a rarity, oddly enough) and will get it sorted as soon as possible. Glad y'all liked the article.

I will be 100% Linux October 14, 2025 when Windows 10 reaches EOL and until then I'll use them both.

I was happy with windwoes 7 until that ugly...horrible...just plain stupid and broken windwoes 8 came out.
mad0016.gif

If this is what microsuck is going to shove down my throat...they can stick it.
mad0044.gif

You don't need a uni degree to search..."alternatives to windwoes". I knew how to install an OS from the days of windwoes XP, so installing most Linux Distros was easy.
happy0006.gif
Then evil microsuck tried to force me to distroy my computer and install windwoes spyware 10...I then ran from windwoes as fast as I could and never looked back. :)

If people really want to switch to Linux and learn then whey will but some people want everything done for them and too lazy to do a little research...from some questions asked on this Forum, that seems to be the case. :rolleyes: We're not here to do your homework or assignments...that's what DuckDuckGo is for.
happy0039.gif

Members online