Today's article is mostly just about making sure folks are aware of ShellCheck.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
You can install it locally, easily enough. I see questions here and there that are resolved by simply running it through ShellCheck, though not so many on this site.

Feedback is awesome.

You can install it locally, easily enough. I see questions here and there that are resolved by simply running it through ShellCheck, though not so many on this site.

Feedback is awesome.
I’ve been using shellcheck for years. I’ve also set up vim to use shellcheck when writing/editing shell-scripts. Can’t remember offhand which plug-in it was. I set it up a long time ago. Very handy though!

I’ve been using shellcheck for years. I’ve also set up vim to use shellcheck when writing/editing shell-scripts. Can’t remember offhand which plug-in it was. I set it up a long time ago. Very handy though!

You can tie it in (linter - is that the right word?) with a ton of IDEs as well as VIM. It's a handy application and I mostly wrote the article to increase awareness as well as to provide a handy link for when I need to reference it.

It's a great tool, especially if you're new - or forgetful like me.

I had never seen ShellCheck before. I usually just trample through the syntax errors and typos lol.

I will take a look at it next time I'm doing some type of shell scripting on a test box.

It's a great tool. The goal is to make more folks aware of it, so mission accomplished!

Another interesting program for bash is thefuck.

Nice. I was previously unfamiliar with that one.

Hmm... I may have to do an article about it, 'cause then I'd have an excuse to use the word 'fuck' on the site. I'm pretty much just a giant five year old.

Members online