Today's article is fairly easy, as you're just cleaning apt's cache...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Yes, apt caches stuff. I'm not actually sure what benefit it has and why it does so. I don't think you can turn off the behavior - but you can clean up after it. You have a couple of options to do so easily. Well, you have a zillion options - but I only go through a couple.

Feedback just is alright by me.

Simple and straightforward.......just how I like it.

Sometimes you gotta just cover the easier stuff. But, it's a command worth knowing. Well, a couple of commands worth knowing.

When I used to use Mint, I read about these commands but I found out the hard way that they don't delete everything from the cache. The best way to clear the package manager cache is to find the cache directory and either shift+delete everything inside or "sudo rm" it through terminal. That's the only way you can be sure everything is really removed.

When I used to use Mint, I read about these commands but I found out the hard way that they don't delete everything from the cache.

'clean' should - 'autoclean' should only remove those that have newer packages. If it wasn't removing everything, something weird was going on - 'cause it should (and does here). At least I've never found it leaving things behind.

Well, considering apt was constantly breaking packages for no obvious reason, I wouldn't be surprised if there was really something going on. Eventually it was easier to simply switch to Arch and never regretted it ever since.

Strangely, I never have any of these problems. The most problematic thing I face is an upgrade every few years.

Members online