Today's article is an essay-ish thing that tries to answer the question of *if* you should use Linux.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's a longer-than-normal affair as I play with both the essay format and articles that might take longer than five minutes to read.

Yes, yes I did use sports analogies. Sorta...

Feedback is awesome.

Good essay, David.

The analogies work....they are pertinent.

Hits the nail on the head..... many times.

Best of all, it makes one think.

Best of all, it makes one think.

That's always a good thing. The truth is that Linux isn't for everyone - especially people who are just trying it because they dislike something. Those are the folks that tend to give up early on, in my experience. The folks that stick around are the ones who are inquisitive, constantly learning, and looking for something that makes them happy.

I looked for the challenge.

Working with windows was not a challenge. The bloody thing broke so often of its own accord the 'challenge factor' was destroyed.

Solution:. Linux. it just works. No more of the "self breaking syndrome" The challenge factor is well and truly alive, and doing well.

One look at the dramas being experienced by windows users on the win 10 help forums and I am constantly reassured that the "self breaking syndrome" is also alive and doing just great.

Do I ever miss it?(win10).......yeah...like a hole in the head.

Do I hate it?...No. It outlived its usefulness and its appeal.

So I moved on.

I looked for the challenge.

^ THIS

To me, it was a great joy to have a whole lot more to learn as I came to grips with using Linux. I loved the learning curve. I loved the sense of discovery and understanding.

While a bit of a cliché, I loved the openness. I don't necessarily mean source code with that, I am more referring to the availability of information and the communities around the various bits of software.

There's seemingly no limit. I can learn more - and I learn more every day that goes by (assuming I want to, though I often learn even when that wasn't my intent). There's always something new for me to learn. There's always something I don't know well enough.

Sort of related: I enjoy that aspect with regards to the site. If you want to know if you understand something, try teaching it to someone else - preferably a layperson. If you can make them understand, then you likely have a good understanding of it yourself.

And entirely unrelated: My newsletter didn't fire off notifications today. Oops... It broke yesterday (automatic upgrade process flaked out somewhere) and I had to do some work to fix it.

....and as you have gone about discovering how/why the auto upgrade process flaked out....you will have learned even more!

Ain't Linux grand!

LOL I even fixed the problem - I think... I won't actually know until the next article is published, but it seems pretty likely.

I should probably do a manual sending. The numbers are still low, but about 1/3 of the mailing list actually click on the links in the newsletter. Yes, those links are tracked - but only internally. They're tracked so I know what kinda articles are most appreciated/looked into. The data doesn't leave my server.

I can think of many reasons to hate both microsuck and windwoes but I can't think of not one reason to think the same of Linux.
anim_60.gif

As we say...Linux isn't windwoes and thank God for that. :) I have a CD wallet in my cupboard that contains CD's for...Virus scans...Repair Disks such as...spotmau rescue disk...trinity rescue kit...fixntldr...ultimate boot cd...windwoes 7 rescue disk and the famous Hirens boot cd.
confused0019.gif

Since switching to Linux in 2015, I've never used any of them...the CD wallet sits gathering dust in the cupboard because Linux doesn't break, it runs and works beautifully.
happy0034.gif

Of cause the other thing I like about Linux, is the freedom to do what ever you like on your own computer...something windwoes users will never understand. :(

It's a longer-than-normal affair as I play with both the essay format and articles that might take longer than five minutes to read.

I’ve been wanting to write this for a while, but couldn’t ever think of a way to start it, nor could I think of a way that’d not be too preachy.

there's ever a slight chance you might be preaching to the converted here ..on this site

I enjoyed reading that with the sports references @KGIII!! One comment, you should enable bold for this paragraph.
Even at the most basic level of Linux, it requires a willingness to learn – and to “unlearn” what you learned with your previous computer experience. The person who should be using Linux is the kind of person that values knowledge and understanding. You should be the kind of person that expects the best from yourself and the kind of person willing to put the time in to be exactly that.

there's ever a slight chance you might be preaching to the converted here ..on this site

Indeed, though Linux.org only accounts for a fairly small percentage of my human traffic.

you should enable bold for this paragraph.

Hmm... I'll think of ways to highlight the paragraph, but bolding a whole paragraph just seems weird.

Members online

Latest posts