Today's article is about when you last rebooted your Linux box.

I used code code tags like the example you gave but it doesn't look like a code block now and my username showed auto-corrected to a wrong username again. Is there a way for me to sign up so that so that it the correct username will be associated with the e-mail address I use?

For some reason, I had to accept your comment. I'm not sure why, but I did. The code tags worked well enough.

I'm never much of a stickler when it's a topic I've started from the site. That's where I get a bunch of great ideas!
thumb up.png

That's one of the *many* reasons why I love Linux. I love the choices we get to make. I don't think we have too many distros or anything like that.
There's a distro for all types of users and computers and why I like the Live Media option.

There's a distro for all types of users and computers and why I like the Live Media option.

I do some live testing... Well, yes... I test two live systems every day - but we're talking about beyond that.

I tend to do them in a VM, just booting to the .iso and checking out the system that way. I just download the .iso, queue it up in VBox, and I'm in and can test it out.

I make a huge assumption (and I know what that means) that it'll work just fine on my hardware. Lo and behold, that's pretty much always true. So, testing in a VM works. (I do daily live testing differently for Lubuntu.)

That said, I'm not distro-hopping. I'm pretty happy with the choices I've made. I am using the same distro I was using when you met me. I'll probably be using the same distro a year from now.

I am using the same distro I was using when you met me. I'll probably be using the same distro a year from now.

I'd still be using the Ubuntu flavors if the devs wouldn't have jacked with the resolution that I prefer and I know that's what has happened and here's why.

Linux Lite and Linux Mint and Peppermint give me the monitor resolution I prefer OOTB.

Now if those distos offer that resolution OOTB
then that tells me that the developers are the ones responsible for the differences in the distros that don't.

All of them are Ubuntu base.
It's only Ubuntu and the Ubuntu official flavors that are the problem.

I'd still be using the Ubuntu flavors if the devs wouldn't have jacked with the resolution that I prefer and I know that's what has happened and here's why.

I think you may have mentioned that before. Fortunately, that hasn't been an issue for me.

Man... I'm not sure where I'd go if I left Lubuntu - but it'd probably be something with Cinnamon, or maybe hunt around for a distro with LXQt. It'd probably be LMDE. Probably...

I think you may have mentioned that before. Fortunately, that hasn't been an issue for me.
I did. :oops: With the computers you have that wouldn't be an issue. :cool:

Man... I'm not sure where I'd go if I left Lubuntu - but it'd probably be something with Cinnamon, or maybe hunt around for a distro with LXQt. It'd probably be LMDE. Probably...
SparkyLinux offers LXQT
PCLinuxOS offers LXQT

May not be to your liking being a big LTS kinda guy. :p

I'm using LMDE4 now and it's OK but Cinnamon desktop I'm not a fan of but that's what comes OOTB and that's the kind of user I am.

All good things come to an end and then ya move on to another distro which is why I run several different distros. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
All good things come to an end and then ya move on to another distro which is why I rum several different distros.

Long-term, I should be good with Lubuntu. There are a bunch of users, even with the dropping of 32 bit and change of LXDE to LXQt. Pretty much all LXDE systems should be changing to LXQt, as the LXDE devs are the ones driving the change. So, it's going to end up even less maintained. Then again, maybe someone will pick it up - though the devs had good reason for switching to Qt.

I'll face the switching bridge if it comes to that. Right now, everything looks like it's going fine and the project is moving forward. Ubuntu could pull the switch and make it an independent distro, so there's that.

Nice post! Learned something new! Also, great website, definitely favorited!

I always shutdown my personal linux machine at night before going to bed. For my servers, I have them running for weeks on end and maybe reboot once during that time.

With Windows, I rebooted maybe once a week, but Linux is more stable, so rebooting less frequently does not seem to be an issue. I also dont run anything major in the lab, just some K8S clusters with Rancher, and an instance of Prometheus that I am playing around with.

Thanks I created an account for future comments and was able to set the username I want.

If you ever get bored, there are other roles like contributor, author, or editor. ;-)

Also, great website, definitely favorited!

Glad ya like it. There are quite a few articles already. The newsletter will send an email to let you know when new stuff has been published, if you're interested.

Members online