Today's article is about the head command, a pretty easy article aimed at newer users.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
If you noticed that you didn't get an email notification - no newsletter publication - you should be aware that it's not my fault. In fact, it's not even the fault of my hosting. It's not even the fault of WordPress. We've exhausted all those leads and the problem lies with Let's Encrypt.

Now, I could have used PHP's mail function. I could have changed my settings. Instead, I'll just wait until the certificate is fixed and not bother changing a bunch of settings only to have to change them back for testing purposes.

Feedback is awesome.

Now, I could have used PHP's mail function.
Feedback is awesome.
PHPMailer would have been a better option than raw php mail anyway : https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer

Can't remember whether the inbuilt php mail works on local host; but i can tell that PHPMAiler will send emails from a web app in apache on Linux, which really helps iron out issues before going live

Yeah, I'm just not gonna worry about it today. It should be fixed reasonably soon and it's above my pay grade - so I don't have to worry about it. It's on shared hosting, so 'snot my job to fix it.

I do have to test once in a while, and rather than switching settings back and forth, I'm just going to leave them like they were. Meh... A notification email got dropped. It's not the end of the world and, more importantly, it's not my fault!

It's something to do with the way Let's Encrypt (sometimes) speaks with cPanel. It's the LE side that is issuing the wrong certs but they only do it for some sites - not all of 'em. The bug has been around for a while, or so I'm told. I don't actually care too much about it 'cause it's not my job to resolve it! ;)

It's nice when it's not my responsibility to fix it! I've thought about moving to dedicated hosting, but it doesn't use enough resources yet - plus it'd mean I'd have to fix it myself.

the head command

I should use this more than I do. But then, it's head or tail :)
Or... more or less :)

Too many ways to do some things.

It's a pretty useful command. It's great if you want to just get a glimpse at a file when you've just run ls and you're not quite sure which file you want. Instead of doing a full cat, you just check the head.

You can probably guess what tomorrow's article is gonna be about.

Members online

Latest posts