Today's article is about remotely accessing computers graphically.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I've been using TeamViewer for a while now (in a mix with other options) and have grown fond of it. It's closed source and only free for personal use, but I'm pretty happy with how it has been going and figured I'd make others aware.

Feedback is awesome. Be sure to read the caveats near the end.

It's also depends on your situation, I wouldn't advice using teamviewer on your LAN. If you need a graphical environment you can always setup X2go which uses the ssh port, how it works? You have x2go server running on your server and then you use an x2go client to connect to the server, you do have to have the graphical environment installed on the system your are connecting to and this will work in more situations than just your LAN without needing TeamViewer.

Yup. There are tons of choices these days. I've been pretty happy with TeamViewer lately. I suppose I could look to see when I started using it, but it has been the better part of this year. I started poking at it just for that LAN reason.

See, I have two distinct lines coming into the house (technically 3, but one has no DSL associated with it) and purposely keep each connection separate. I've been using VNC for years but simply couldn't get it to work over the web, to connect to a device on the other connection, no matter what I tried. So, that's when I gave TeamViewer a shot.

It is one of those apps that 'just works' and I'm a big fan of that. I still use the more traditional tools, but I've really been digging it lately.

It's also depends on your situation, I wouldn't advice using teamviewer on your LAN.
I don't use TeamViewer on my LAN, but I did comment in this post how it was possible to do so without the program communicating with its TeamViewer home servers. Well, if you trust them, as I guess that would be the concern for a proprietary program. I am a pretty big fan of TeamViewer and have used it for years to give tech support to distant family and friends. It is drop-dead-simple to use... and for my non-technical family and friends, that's a huge plus. It also has built-in file transfer capabilities which are invaluable for the work that I do with them.

I found VNC to be a great tool using an Android tablet to control a Raspberry Pi. Instead of plugging THREE cables into that tiny little box, VNC wirelessly provided the screen, keyboard, and mouse. It was very cool using that setup.

I looked at X2go, and it looks nice but seems a bit on the complicated side. But the deal breaker is that it doesn't seem to support using Windows as the server, at least not easily. That is my typical use case.

Nice article... thanks!

I looked at X2go, and it looks nice but seems a bit on the complicated side. But the deal breaker is that it doesn't seem to support using Windows as the server, at least not easily. That is my typical use case.
It's easy to setup, takes less than 5 minutes and yes it only supports Linux because it's X11 over ssh but it does have a Windows client.

Members online

Latest posts