Today's article is about nano - I reference it often, but never told folks how to install it.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

As per Synaptic package manager, Nano is installed.

What is it named in the menu ?

has been around since 1991, 21 years at the time of writing.

Might have to check the math there, David ;)

Chris

Might have to check the math there, David ;)

Chris

And to think, I'm a mathematician! (I was a wee bit 'medicated' and wrote a bunch of articles.)

Edit: Wait, no... That's correct. It doesn't turn 22 for a few more days. (I'm currently 'medicated'.)

What is it named in the menu ?

I don't think it is in your menu. Start it from the terminal.

Code:
nano example.txt

Last edited:
KGIII said:
I think you meant man nano, tub oyu wree abit "medciatde" sa ouy asid...

KGIII said:
And to think, I'm a mathematician! (I was a wee bit 'medicated' and wrote a bunch of articles.)
Edit: Wait, no... That's correct. It doesn't turn 22 for a few more days. (I'm currently 'medicated'.)
And the medicine happens to be a panaceae for all ailments called "rum" XD

All that aside, Nano is pretty much my go-to editor for general-purpose. It looks stunning in a 1920x1080 modeset tty. But even in an X session, I often choose it over a graphical editor. In fact, in an X session, you have the advantage of a "double clipboard" with nano coz you have the system's, which pastes into consoles, Ctrl+Shift+Insert, and nano's, Ctrl+U (once you cut something). I love the intuitiveness of Ctrl+K, too. Most people don't know, but you can cut & paste multiple lines in nano. As a keyboard-centered user, I find it a godsend and am thankful that it has been included in all desktop distros I've used (I say "desktop" because the from-scratch systems are, well, from scratch).

Only article crits: Should've gone into the basics a little more (Ctrl+K & Ctrl+U especially worth a mention), since most newcomers are on distros that ship with it. Maybe included a link to a cheat sheet in jpeg format (most people do not RTFM).

And the medicine happens to be a panaceae for all ailments called "rum" XD

No, no... It's just post harvest season here in Maine.

Fixed the nemo. Amusingly, I typed nemo a couple of times during the article, and thought I'd fixed 'em.

And no, no... My articles are mostly aimed at brevity - people won't read more than 4 to 6 minutes worth of text (at 200 wpm reading speed). So, I keep it that long. I'm also way too lazy to create a nano cheat sheet and wouldn't 'borrow' one from anyone else. ;-) Way too lazy for that.

Nano has a built-in cheat sheet... F1 (or ^G for "Get Help").

Plus it pretty much tells you the important stuff at the bottom of the page. It's even contextual!

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever personally used a cheat sheet. I probably should have used one numerous times, but I don't recall ever using one for computer-related things. I'm kinda stubborn and I actually do RTFM.

Nano has a built-in cheat sheet... F1 (or ^G for "Get Help").
That's cool. I assumed "basic" help meant a lengthy intro and the short cuts listed below. I don't think I've used F1 since I was about 12. I find manpages and Archwiki (there's almost nothing it doesn't answer) much better.

people won't read more than 4 to 6 minutes worth of text (at 200 wpm reading speed).
People must read slowly and I always thought I read slowly after my epilepsy hit. I noticed that trend on the net lately, "X min read" and 5 min is usually about 2.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever personally used a cheat sheet. I probably should have used one numerous times, but I don't recall ever using one for computer-related things. I'm kinda stubborn and I actually do RTFM.
I need to these days. Owing to abovementioned condition, my memory is fried like eggs on Monday mornings: overdone. Even the quacks can't say if it's the meds or dropping and bashing my head once too many (can't get an MRI on public health unless you're busy dying). So if I still used a mousepad, I'd get my own custom cheat sheet on it coz I find myself constantly checking up syntax, program parameters, and even package names (though I have an excuse here since Arch and Debian often have different names for things and it's easy to muddle which is prolly the main reason for -Ss and apt-cache search, lol). So yeah, cheat sheets have their place -- just not on a T-shirt at a con -- for some folks, no matter how long we've been using Linux/UNIX.

cheat sheets have their place
I've collected a few over the years: Vi/Vim, awk, sed, etc. I don't often use them because, well.... I don't often use Vi/Vim, awk, or sed. I guess that's the point, isn't it? ;)

So if I still used a mousepad, I'd get my own custom cheat sheet on it
There are many for sale on the web, but probably never exactly what you might want. Another simple trick is to use the cheat sheet as a desktop background... it's always right in front of you!

People must read slowly and I always thought I read slowly after my epilepsy hit.

200 is the average given, so I stick to that. I also read much faster, though I do slow a bit if the goal is retention.

I need to these days.

Yeah, that's one of the things I'm grateful for. I'm getting up there in age, and losing my faculties is a concern. That's one of the reasons why I remain engaged and productive.

There are many for sale on the web, but probably never exactly what you might want. Another simple trick is to use the cheat sheet as a desktop background... it's always right in front of you!
That's actually a fine idea! I'd have to add a separate workspace for it so it wouldn't mess up my anime and pony backgrounds, though.

I pretty much never see my desktop. That's why there's naught but a BMW picture on it. Not even a single shortcut, just a Bimmer pic. I've always got something open and in full screen on every screen.

Staff online