Today's article is about my three favorite text editors - plus the why and how.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I've mentioned before that I use different text editors for different things - just like I use different browsers for different things.

These are the three that I use most.

Feedback is awesome. You can leave it here or at the site. If you want more people to read it, you should leave it at the site. If you want to discuss it with folks here, then leave it here. It's all good by me. Also, to clear up some confusion, there's no need to register to comment. That's not a requirement.

Hmmm ... My preferred text(terminal)editor is nano, and use it to do basic stuff as well as more complex stuff. Nano is good enough for basic coding, yeah it doesn't have all the features VI or Emacs do, but it has its own powerful ones, and once you learn how to use them you won't even remember about those 2. Now, for other more much complex stuff nano is not enough, I use Kate. BTW, bluefish isn't a text editor, it's a HTML editor.

Hmmm ... My preferred text(terminal)editor is nano, and use it to do basic stuff as well as more complex stuff.

I don't do much in nano, besides quick edits. It's still the 3rd most common editor for me to use. (And Bluefish does everything from C to PHP, not just HTML.)

I can use VIM ok but i also like nano; for coding geany

Yeah, nano is what I use. I can do a bit with Vim, but I'd be rusty as hell these days. I just don't need to use Vim enough to be skillful. I don't think I've used it (by choice) for quite a while. I've used it when nano wasn't available, but that wasn't really by choice.

Nano can do quite a bit once you learn the KB shortcuts

Mousepad is the GUI text editor on my current system, it is very similar to Featherpad.

Vscode is my coding editor. With extensions it can handle pretty much anything.

Hmm... I should probably add the link for the nano cheatsheet. I'm pretty fluent with nano, as it's my preferred terminal editor. Others may not. I often include nano-specific instructions on the site just because many people aren't familiar with it.

I haven't tried mousepad. It looks like (from checking the apt-cache) an Xfce-oriented editor. It also looks like it has almost no dependencies, which is nice.

I don't do much in nano, besides quick edits. It's still the 3rd most common editor for me to use. (And Bluefish does everything from C to PHP, not just HTML.)

Never said it didn't, but it isn't a "text editor" as it's not intended for that, yes you can create and edit basic files, but it's an HTML editor with more focus on web development, which includes PHP, C and other programming languages.

That it does.

Edit: It has this ad at the moment. I can't click on it, but the five year old in me is intrigued:

Selection_129.png

I am so gonna look that up.

Last edited:
yep its a simple xfce editor

im having to use it since its the default to read my own notes and tweak my system

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-16_00-03-14.png
    Screenshot_2021-05-16_00-03-14.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 176
Sadly, it doesn't do a couple of things I "need" (want, really). It doesn't show open tabs on the left and it doesn't appear to open the same session automatically. I can't find a way to create/save a session. That feature is one of the biggest reasons I use FeatherPad.

Another neat CLI editor is Micro.
Description: modern and intuitive terminal-based text editor
micro is a terminal-based text editor that aims to be easy to use and
intuitive, while also taking advantage of the full capabilities of
modern terminals.
As the name indicates, micro aims to be somewhat of a successor to the
nano editor by being easy to install and use.

Hmm.... That one is in the Lubuntu (Ubuntu) repos, though it's an older version.

Members online

Latest posts