Today's article is about extracting a file from an .iso...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I put this in the Command Line section, but you can probably use a GUI for much of it. Basically, you mount the .iso as though it's a drive and you can access it. At that point, you could open your file manager and quite likely see the drive mounted like any other drive and access it that way.

So, it's up to you - but it's easy enough for a newbie to follow along.

Enjoy and feedback is awesome.

Yeah, there's a zillion and three ways. You can even (in some file managers) find the option to mount the .iso in the right click menu.

Yeah, there's a zillion and three ways. You can even (in some file managers) find the option to mount the .iso in the right click menu.
If one is in a rescue situation, using a rescue disk and need a file or two from an iso, and are working from the booted live rescue disk, it's the terminal mount and loop command one is more likely to have access to than any of the "zillion" others. That's from experience.

That's from experience.

Yup. One of the reasons many of my articles involve the terminal is because it's pretty darned universal and has a high rate of success.

Usually if I just want a single file from an iso, Caja or Nautilus will open the iso file for me.
One thing I am wondering in the article, why make "mnt/iso" ? You could just mount to /mnt.

The only other callout here, is the name of the article is "extracting a file from an iso".
The article tells me how to mount the iso, (that's a good start). But it doesn't tell me how
to get a file out of the mounted iso. ( i.e. cp /mnt/iso/isolinux/vmlinuz /home/kg3 )

One thing I am wondering in the article, why make "mnt/iso" ?

It's how I've always done it. So, it's how I wrote it.

But it doesn't tell me how
to get a file out of the mounted iso. ( i.e. cp /mnt/iso/isolinux/vmlinuz /home/kg3 )

See the two paragraphs after the last code block? I thought I covered that well enough?

Now, at this point, you can do one of two things. If you want to remain in the terminal, you just ‘cd /mnt/iso‘ and start with ‘ls -la‘ to navigate and find the file(s) you want to extract from .iso. Pretty easy, really!

Alternatively, at this time, your system will now see the .iso as being a mounted image file. You can open your default file explorer (Nemo, PCManFM-Qt, Thunar, Dolphin, and the list goes on and on and on…) where you should see the .iso mounted, especially if you navigate to /mnt/iso. You can then navigate to that mounted image graphically, treating it like its own file system, and extract files as you see fit.

Something I don't need to do these days. Years ago when you had to buy an OS Installation Disk from you know who...if you damaged it...you had to buy another one which wasn't cheap.
t2307.gif

So I'd open the Disk and copy all the files...place them in a folder and create a Bootable ISO and burn it to a Disk and use the same product key which you can do.
m1204.gif

Since switching to Linux that's no longer a problem as Linux Distro ISOs are free and can be downloaded anytime. I can still open the Linux ISO or other ISOs with Archive Manager too.
m1213.gif

Years ago when you had to buy an OS Installation Disk from you know who...if you damaged it...you had to buy another one which wasn't cheap.
t2307.gif

Do they even distribute software on optical disk these days? I really have no idea, 'snot like I go into those types of stores for anything. I don't even go into Walmart (for reasons too long to get into here - and I'll drive an extra hour just to avoid doing so) to buy anything. I don't shop at like Best Buy or anything. I really have no idea.

Do they even distribute software on optical disk these days? I really have no idea,

I don't know either...I'm Linux now.
m1211.gif