Today's article is a nice and easy one - update Ubuntu (and similar) from the terminal.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's a nice clear article (I think) that tells folks how to update from the terminal and what the commands are doing.

Feedback is awesome!

I still use the old school commands when updating an Ubuntu or Debian based distribution.
Code:
apt-get update && ap-get upgrade -y && apt-get autoremove
Never understood why apt was created since when you check the differences they are too small to use apt over apt-get and apt-cache and the others. The only advantage I can think of is that apt is divided into sub commands while with apt-get and ap-cache and the others all have sub-commands over their own that can make it confusing or hard to remember for people new to Linux.

Last edited:
apt-get is stable, apt is not. So I understand.

I just use apt 'cause they're not changing any of those commands any time soon.

Umm, it would be *nicer* if you pre-pended the "nice" command on it.

laughing-laugh.gif

Umm, it would be *nicer* if you pre-pended the "nice" command on it.

Pfft... Nice is for woosies. Also, I don't recall a 'nice' for apt, though I suppose you could use nice on the process. That seems a bit silly, however.

I mainly use the "Software Updater" why not it's there and it accomplishes the same thing.

I still use apt-get when using the terminal it's what I first leaned when I started using Linux.

Then there's aptitude. :)

Wiz

I pretty much always have a terminal open and do a lot of stuff in there - including my updates. It doesn't matter which distro it is, I do my upgrades in the terminal. I think it's just habit at this point.

I use the terminal quite a bit it's handy.

You can run the whole distro from the terminal but I like a GUI.

Yeah, I don't do everything in the terminal. I'm not one of those people. ;-)

I do certain tasks in the terminal, simply 'cause I find it easier/faster. Two main things are managing software and diagnostics/system info. I do those types of tasks in the terminal more often than not. I also spend a lot of time remotely managing my stuff and I tend to do quite a bit of that in the terminal, but I'm trying to use GUI tools more often.

Members online