Today's article is a meta post about why I use Linux...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's a bit of an essay, not all that long, that first appeared on the other site. I was lacking in time for a few days due to a death in the family, so that ended up getting brought over to the new site and is today's article. You may have seen it before, though I'm not sure if I was even sharing the articles here at the time that was written.

Feedback is awesome. If you want to be 'immortalized', feel free to leave your reasons for using Linux as a comment on the Linux-tips site itself.

On a positive note, things are returning to normal. So, I should be back around as often as is regular.

I really liked the article (it was read about 3 hours ago, so my memory of it is already somewhat vague sorry so this is more generic)

I was surprised by mention of patching & compiling... I've not done that for years (I recall making changes, compiling kernels so wifi worked better, changing some defaults on some model IBM thinkpads but that was years ago). I do appreciate that I can do that again too, should I feel the urge/need...

Yeah the community is a strong point with GNU/Linux, and I'm very often still impressed with it.

Why do I use GNU/Linux...

OS/2 died, whilst I could use windows (and did for a time; w2k then 2002/xp from memory) decisions used in construction just annoyed me so I wasn't happy there except for windows as a second OS.. GNU/Linux was just easier than BSD (I expected I'd be a BSD user now). My primary & secondary OSes are now GNU/Linux(es).

I was surprised by mention of patching & compiling...

Mostly mentioned as being optional - not that I need to, but that I *can*. Also, who doesn't like watching stuff compile?!? (I do not like it enough to consider Gentoo.)

OS/2 died

I'm pretty sure you're younger than I am - but sound so much older! :D

Yeah the community is a strong point with GNU/Linux, and I'm very often still impressed with it.

You know... Now that I think about it...

I'm not actually sure I'd have stuck with Linux had the community not existed and been the community that I've experienced.

One of the things I really like is that I can go as far as I want. If there's something I want to understand, there's someone willing to teach me - assuming, of course, I put the effort in. In return for their time investment, I try to make sure to (by extension) do something with that knowledge. Kinda like how I made sure to commit to testing Lubuntu long term after soaking up a bunch of new information...

I figure part of the community is passing it on. But, without that community, I may too have been a BSD user.

As an aside: From the modern BSD family, I find GhostBSD to be a very attractive offering.

Anyhow, back to my point (and to my pint, as I've a delightfully brewed local ale by my side), the community really is important to me. The community isn't just the devs, but the users alike - especially those users who step up to both help support new users, answer questions, and dedicate their time to helping other people. I think the 'support community' is often overlooked - or perhaps taken for granted, but it's a huge part.

We can't all be rock stars and creators. So, many find a niche in helping at the support end.

Either way, as I've often said, there's room for pretty much everyone to get involved. That's a good thing.

Members online